 Trains / 28834
Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:11:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   But let me go further and note that I think your instructions are equally nice and are deserving of attention in their own right.

Mind if I ask what software you used to generate the instructions?

Thanks for sharing.

Benn

Thanks Benn

It may sound really stupid but I use Excel to prepare my drawings - each drawing element is prepared separately then I do the overall layout.

Before you start choking, there are however specific reasons why I use it. It is accessible at work, at home and even at my mums - most importantly at work. Like many people I spend my life sitting in front of a computer so when I get a really good idea I can just jot it down and carry on. The other thing about work is they have the Adobe license so I can make the pdf, so what ever I use has to be there - the chances of me sneaking CAD past my systems administrator are zilch!

The other main reason is my background. As a civil engineer I spend a lot of time looking at plans so I do most of my thinking built up two dimensions at a time than three, so using a simple projection in my drawings just helps me think more clearly.

I will finish on a word of warning. Whilst l built the loco from the drawings I can’t promise they are 100% as I had plenty of prior knowledge of how it was supposed to go together. If you do attempt to build from them, each step is a picture of a sub-assembly, and some of the parts are difficult to find, or may be hidden. So each one is rather like a little jigsaw.

I will be happy to work with anyone attempting a build from the drawings to help make life easier - but James Mathis described my presentation style as challenging so that tells you what you could be dealing with!

Chris

In lugnet.trains, Chris van Lottum wrote:
   I will be happy to work with anyone attempting a build from the drawings to help make life easier - but James Mathis described my presentation style as challenging so that tells you what you could be dealing with!

Heh heh, can’t please everyone. James might be right, they are not step by step instructions. But I still thought the presentation was efficient. Your pdf conveys everything (the parts list helps with finding the missing parts). Your effort has inspired me, now to find a computer with adobe and ldraw on it...

Benn

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
   In lugnet.trains, Chris van Lottum wrote:
   I will be happy to work with anyone attempting a build from the drawings to help make life easier - but James Mathis described my presentation style as challenging so that tells you what you could be dealing with!

Heh heh, can’t please everyone. James might be right, they are not step by step instructions. But I still thought the presentation was efficient. Your pdf conveys everything (the parts list helps with finding the missing parts). Your effort has inspired me, now to find a computer with adobe and ldraw on it...

Benn

Chris,

After building your Prime Mover from the PDF I started in on the loco. I just finished building the loco from the PDF. It was only a little harder than one of James’ designs. I had to look up one part in peeron. Also with subassy F installed you can not put subassy J in. Otherwise everything fit in order. The loco looks gorgeous and I want to thank you for designing this loco and sharing the directions with us.

Bruce