 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3835

Subject:
6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:30:10 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hot on the heels of my first post, here’s my second (and the reason I got side tracked) …

I went for a biggie for my first loco MOC so please let me know what you think of my Canadian Pacific GE Evolution Series in six-wide.

Pictures and construction drawings when moderated:

I must say thank you to James Mathis for the steps on the truck, blatantly pinched from his Alco RS1; and to Tim Gould for posting his version of (almost) the same loco a couple of weeks ago. I had just received my last Bricklink order to build the thing but I just wasn’t happy with the rearmost underside radiator grill and his version presented me with the solution I had been looking for! (Such a small piece of plagiarism – such a major rebuild!).

Thanks for reading

Play Well

Chris

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
In lugnet.announce.moc, Chris van Lottum wrote:
   Hot on the heels of my first post, here’s my second (and the reason I got side tracked) …

I went for a biggie for my first loco MOC so please let me know what you think of my Canadian Pacific GE Evolution Series in six-wide.

Pictures and construction drawings when moderated:

I must say thank you to James Mathis for the steps on the truck, blatantly pinched from his Alco RS1; and to Tim Gould for posting his version of (almost) the same loco a couple of weeks ago. I had just received my last Bricklink order to build the thing but I just wasn’t happy with the rearmost underside radiator grill and his version presented me with the solution I had been looking for! (Such a small piece of plagiarism – such a major rebuild!).

Thanks for reading

Play Well

Chris

Hi Chris,

Great job on the loco. There’s a few bits I’ll probably pinch if I ever get around to building my CN in the brick. I’m particularly partial to your embedded wheel and handrails. The staggered slopes work quite well for the nose.

Sorry my grille caused so much hassle but if it’s any consolation it did the same for me (although deleting is a lot easier in CAD). I went through about three iterations for it and each time involved redoing a large section of the tail...

Tim

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
Great job on the loco. There’s a few bits I’ll probably pinch if I ever get around to building my CN in the brick. I’m particularly partial to your embedded wheel and handrails. The staggered slopes work quite well for the nose.

Sorry my grille caused so much hassle but if it’s any consolation it did the same for me (although deleting is a lot easier in CAD). I went through about three iterations for it and each time involved redoing a large section of the tail...

Tim

Thanks for your comments Tim

It was the flush brake wheel that caused the hassles. Your radiator grill is deeper than the inverse slopes I had in previously, and the small grill below the wheel was a 1x2 brick type attached to the base and not the tile used now - whilst the wheel was attached to the snot long hood. In order to lower the wheel it got far too complicated and ... as i’m totaly at a lost, and at a loss to describe things further I’ll stop there.

Please look at the pdf on brickshelf for the rather inelegant (not quite studless as before) solution.

[...]

well well done. the model is seemingly simple but well executed. i think my only gripe would be your stickers. try putting clear box tape over your stickers before you cut them and apply them to your engine. this emulates the shineyness of lego stickers and tends to make printed colors match better.

ondrew

p.s the trick isin’t mine it’s something i learned from brian willams..

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

well well done. the model is seemingly simple but well executed. i think my only gripe would be your stickers. try putting clear box tape over your stickers before you cut them and apply them to your engine. this emulates the shineyness of lego stickers and tends to make printed colors match better.

ondrew

p.s the trick isin’t mine it’s something i learned from brian willams..

Thanks for the tip Ondrew, I was disapointed with the stickers my ink jet produced. I am going to try using one of the laser copiers at my work at some point as I had a much better (and shinier) match to the LEGO colours.

In lugnet.trains, Chris van Lottum wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

well well done. the model is seemingly simple but well executed. i think my only gripe would be your stickers. try putting clear box tape over your stickers before you cut them and apply them to your engine. this emulates the shineyness of lego stickers and tends to make printed colors match better.

ondrew

p.s the trick isin’t mine it’s something i learned from brian willams..

Thanks for the tip Ondrew, I was disapointed with the stickers my ink jet produced. I am going to try using one of the laser copiers at my work at some point as I had a much better (and shinier) match to the LEGO colours.

Chris

An alternative is inkjet vinyl sticker sheet, avaialbe in clear and white. I find that this gives as good a look as official stickers, but the ink can be smudges with careless handling. The stuff I use is made by Folex.

Tim

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
An alternative is inkjet vinyl sticker sheet,
avaialbe in clear and white. I
find that this gives as good a look as official
stickers, but the ink can be
smudges with careless handling. The stuff I use is
made by Folex.

Tim

onlinelabels.com has clear labels. I used them for
this effort:

It's here! Your new message!

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
An alternative is inkjet vinyl sticker sheet,
avaialbe in clear and white. I
find that this gives as good a look as official
stickers, but the ink can be
smudges with careless handling. The stuff I use is
made by Folex.

Tim

onlinelabels.com has clear labels. I used them for
this effort:

Indeed, these clear labels are excellent.
I have seen them first-hand, and they look very nice.

later,

James Mathis

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
An alternative is inkjet vinyl sticker sheet,
avaialbe in clear and white. I
find that this gives as good a look as official
stickers, but the ink can be
smudges with careless handling. The stuff I use is
made by Folex.

Tim

onlinelabels.com has clear labels. I used them for
this effort:

Indeed, these clear labels are excellent.
I have seen them first-hand, and they look very nice.

Come to think of it, So have I (there are some in the pictures of my prime
mover), and they are mighty fine, if a little time consuming to cut ;-)

later,

James Mathis

Thanks Guys

It's down to Staples for me this weekend :-)

Chris

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
   well well done. the model is seemingly simple but well executed. i think my only gripe would be your stickers. try putting clear box tape over your stickers before you cut them and apply them to your engine. this emulates the shineyness of lego stickers and tends to make printed colors match better.

ondrew

p.s the trick isin’t mine it’s something i learned from brian willams..

And of course you could get me to engrave the numbers on the bricks/panels and not even worry with stickers and matching colors, and the like. lol

Tommy Armstrong www.brickengraver.com

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
In lugnet.announce.moc, Chris van Lottum wrote:

snip

   I went for a biggie for my first loco MOC so please let me know what you think of my Canadian Pacific GE Evolution Series in six-wide.

Pictures and construction drawings when moderated:

snip

Chris

Chris,

Very nicely done. It is hard to capture the size of current North American engines in six-wide, but you have done it. I will be using a lot of what you have done in my next set of engines. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
In lugnet.announce.moc, Chris van Lottum wrote:
   Hot on the heels of my first post, here’s my second (and the reason I got side tracked) …

I went for a biggie for my first loco MOC so please let me know what you think of my Canadian Pacific GE Evolution Series in six-wide.

Hi Chris,

First let me echo the other posts, “nice MOC with great detail”. But let me go further and note that I think your instructions are equally nice and are deserving of attention in their own right.

Mind if I ask what software you used to generate the instructions?

Thanks for sharing.

Benn

Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC