 Trains / 28876
Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:10:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Chris van Lottum wrote:

I went for a biggie for my first loco MOC so please let me know what you
think of my Canadian Pacific GE Evolution Series in six-wide.

Pictures and construction drawings when moderated:

I like this model because it looks just like the engines that go past my
family's house (CP and Norfolk Southern, mainly). Growing up right there I kind
of took the trains for granted, but seeing all the effort people here put into
modeling them has rekindled an interest. They are mighty machines.

I am impressed that you created your instructions in Excel. Does that mean you
drafted your own set of part graphics, or are the part images derived from their
LDraw equivalents? Developing orthographic plans certainly makes sense,
especially from a civil engineering perspective, but I am curious if Excel is
often repurposed for this kind of draftwork. I know it is a flexible program,
but this surprised me!

Be well,
Jim

Thanks Jim, I draft each piece myself; I don't use CAD.  Most parts are really
just combinations of simple rectangles and circles, and the geometry is well
documented and easy to understand.  I admit I haven't got all the parts 100%
right, especially the complicated ones, but I tend to limit the number of
odd/and irregular pieces when I build in my head, I only tend to get funky when
I have to solve a problem in real brick, like the three-axle truck on the GE, on
paper the geometry doesn't work but in brick it does - go figure!

As for the widespread use of Excel for drafting - I don't think it is used like
this too often.  It's probably a bit to quirky - but then so am I!.  At work I
just tend to use it for to use it for the odd figure or sketch to illustrate
calculations for a report.  As a package it is commonplace in most offices (the
lowest common denominator is best when you transfer information) and we have
company templates for calc sheets and so on which we are encouraged to use.

Play Well

Chris