 Trains / 28877
Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:05:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris van Lottum wrote:

...snip...

Thanks Jim, I draft each piece myself; I don't use CAD.  Most parts are really
just combinations of simple rectangles and circles, and the geometry is well
documented and easy to understand.  I admit I haven't got all the parts 100%
right, especially the complicated ones, but I tend to limit the number of
odd/and irregular pieces when I build in my head, I only tend to get funky when
I have to solve a problem in real brick, like the three-axle truck on the GE, on
paper the geometry doesn't work but in brick it does - go figure!

As for the widespread use of Excel for drafting - I don't think it is used like
this too often.  It's probably a bit to quirky - but then so am I!.  At work I
just tend to use it for to use it for the odd figure or sketch to illustrate
calculations for a report.  As a package it is commonplace in most offices (the
lowest common denominator is best when you transfer information) and we have
company templates for calc sheets and so on which we are encouraged to use.

Play Well

Chris

This is one really nice engine!

Would it be possible for you to post the Excel file for those of us who dabble
in Excel?

I have built your Prime Mover and am building the engine in LDraw (MLCad).
Except for the part immediately in front of the rear cowl, all has came together
rather well; it looks OK from the outside but it would not lock into the rest
ofthe engine. I did have one piece left over on one of the other parts.

The Prime Mover is a jewell...I'm trying different methods of fitting it into
4558/10001 extended A and C units. It may also become a flat car load.

Thank you for both these.

Joseph