 Trains / 26564
Re: Thoughts on Battery-powered IR-controlled trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:36:26 GMT

What about ripping out the IR and jumping right to Blue Tooth. This way the NXT
can directly control 3 or 4 trains wirelessly (more if you use a hierarchy), as
well as many laptops and smart phones!

I know tha Blue Tooth is designed to be low power and inexpensive; for cell
phone/headsets, mice and keyboards etc.

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
Also if the RCX is NOT directly powering the trains then the RCX 1.0 (with AC
jack) isn't manditory. I would love to see the IR train be controled by the RCX.

Is reverse engineering the IR codes for the IR train hard to do? Should I try to
get the IR control codes spec and post it on ILTCO web site? Who knows how to
program the RCX with new IR codes? (Is it that easy???)

I cracked the Manas codes in ten minutes with a photodiode and an oscilloscope.

Turned out they were very easy to transmit from the RCX.

I suppose TLG could go to the trouble of inventing an entirely new scheme, but
why?

The only scary thing is how easy it will be for naughty little kids to go to
train shows armed with Lego train IR remotes hidden in their jackets.

Personally, I cannot wait for the IR trains to show up. I can see myself modding
a few to use RF (418MHz ?) instead of IR. This would make it immune to that kind
of problem. And a simple RS232 - 418MHz PC gizmo would make PC control easy too.

JB