 Trains / 26565
Re: Thoughts on Battery-powered IR-controlled trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:42:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:

The problem you're gonna find is that the RCX can only point in
1 direction at once.

   Actualy, so can a remote. The IR signal from the RCX is fairly "bright"
(i.e.- you don't need the RCX pointed right into the Manas IR receive units
to function, it can be bounced off other objects).

Using the Manas as a practical example, because I can't imagine they're going to
completely revamp the IR system...

The signal from the Mana remotes works GREAT in a small room with white wall.
You can point it in just about any direction and get the signal through.  But in
a large open room like at a typical show, controlling a device on a table,
they're terrible.  You have to stand within a couple of feet and point the
device in the right direction.  If you've got anything in the way at all, you
will have to hold the device way over your head.

if the trains continue running when they lose their IR signal
(we don't know that yet)

We don't, although I suspect strongly they do.

It's not like Lego has never made a mistake, but it would be a horrific design
problem if you have to point the thing at the train the whole time.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com