 Trains / 26534
Re: Thoughts on Battery-powered IR-controlled trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:44:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:

   One RCX, controling multiple trains, switching tracks, and loading &
unloading stations. If the train folks don't enjoy this, I assure you there's
some mindstorms types that are chomping at the bit.

Except the RCX will be obsolete in 6 months, and the NXT doesn't have
IR. Maybe all the mindstorms fans can pay for their NXT by selling their
RCXs to train builders???? :)

   I'm saving up to buy an NXT - at Developer's Special, or full retail, I'll
likely get one the first chance I get. But I'm not remotely thinking the RCX
will be "obsolete" in 6 months. One, the NXT doesn't have IR... yet. It wouldn't
surprise me at all that somebody makes a 3rd party "IR code box" to allow theNXT
to send IR data. Second, there's a lot that an RCX can do, so I see no reason to
abandon it.
   Heck, were Manas created so that RCX hackers could control them? I suspect
this was not a major motivating factor, but yet another "interface" an AFOL came
up with... because they could.

--
Brian Davis