 Trains / 26548
Re: Thoughts on Battery-powered IR-controlled trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:26:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

how difficult do you think it's going to be to convert from IR to RC? this is
one of the many things i wouldn't mind trying but i honestly hadn't thought of
it before your post. another option is to somehow offset the frequency that the
IR trains work off of to add additional channels. granted the user would need to
have 2 controlers but it would be a huge advantage over only 3 channels.

Well, until I buy one and dig into it, I am not going to know how much space
there is within the housing.

I like RF 'cos it works out of line of sight.

As far as different sub-carrier frequencies for IR, there are a number between
25KHz and 76KHz for which you can obtain integrated IR receivers. This is an
obvious alternative, but if you are going to go to the trouble to modify the
train module to swap out the IR receiver and replace the transmitter (becuase
you know the subcarrier frequency is going to be embedded in the microcontroller
in the Lego transmitter), I figured it would be best to jump straight to RF. TLG
don't like RF because they have to obtain certification for their transmtter in
every country they plan to sell it in, whereas IR has no such regulatory
control. But for us, we can build what ever we want.

JB