 Trains / 26563
Re: modding the new IR trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:26:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   Hey all,

Well there has been quite a bit of talk about modifying the yet to be released IR trains so i figured it might be a good idea to consolidate them into one thread. Here’s a little rundown of what I remember as well as my X-ACTO knife wielding, dremel tool loving, opinions. =)

In order from least offensive to dremel happy:

(SNIP)
   2.install a battery pack instead of using AA’s

This is one of my ideas but I still have yet to see if this is even feasible. Another option is the lithium ion batteries that recently came out. They’re supposed to be rechargeable and last 2-3 times longer than other rechargeables.

(SNIP)
   4.shorten the train base from 30 studs to XX studs

I’ve thought about this for days trying to figure out why someone might want to do this and I’m still confused. Anyone care to chime in on this? 30 studs seems perfect for 6-wide engines.

(SNIP)
   7.completely remove the electronics for installation into odd shaped mocs

This is by far my favorite idea. By removing the electronics and placing them into a smaller more tightly fitting box you gain the opportunity to put it into more mocs whether they’re trains or a something completely different. Another advantage is you can move the receiver eyes to different possibly more hidden locations and you can provide power to the unit in alternate methods.

Again this is just my opinion. You’re welcome to disagree.

Ondrew

P.s.. I’ve read a lot of emails on this lately and might have missed something. If I forgot something please add it to the list.

I’d like to do a combination of 2, 4 and 7.

Take the batteries out, put them in a 4x14 battery box. Use a 9V lead cut in half to connect this to the electronics. Cover over the button of the wrong polarity. Alternatively, for light duty use, use a PP3 battery box and save train weight.

Use two metal-wheeled 9V train motors in the leading loco and plastic wheeled motors further down the train, linked with wires. This gives redundancy of pickups on the two leading motors with an electrically short train for short isolating track sections (that use tape each end between the track joints). The plastic wheeled motors stop trailing cars from dragging in the curves, and act like the middle locos in long American trains.

De-solder the battery clips and output power socket, remove the electronics from the baseplate. Store the baseplate in your ‘big useless parts’ box. Install the electronics in the train, with the IR sensors in the least obtrusive place. The battery system will then control train lights or a motorised crane on the train by remote control, with the train itself using the conventional track-powered solution. Use ‘chocolate block’ to attach the battery wires to the halved 9V lead and the output wires to the other half of the lead, which connects to the lights or motor.

This also minimises the amount of mods necessary, which helps the train to be more saleable later if it should be necessary. There’s a possibility of cutting the IR sensor surrounds out of the baseplate if they are otherwise unremoveable, and either re-soldering or cutting and re-attaching wires if they go through small holes. You could put the LEDs through technic brick holes so that they’re on the outside, but a tidier way is to mount them behind a window in the train - possibly the round portholes if it’s a Santa Fe loco.

Mark