 Trains / 26568
Re: modding the new IR trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:50:09 GMT

I believe that there is a rather large battery box cavity in the interior of the engine above the base plate. Whats nice is that you get to this cavity via the bottom of the train thru the hanging tank.

So you have the 6x8 “tank” below, the IR reciever blug on either side (which makes it 8 wide!), and a ~4x6x3 black battery box cavity on top of the base plate.

This for one means that no 4 wide bodies, like the BNSF, are possible.

I love the remote control-ness of it all, perhaps even at the expense of lossing the metal rails and having to deal with the batteries, but the all-in-one design, BUTE (Big Ugly Train Element), is unfortunately very limiting.

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Hi Ondrew,

I can make a comment on two related posts here.

   4.shorten the train base from 30 studs to XX studs

I’ve thought about this for days trying to figure out why someone might want to do this and I’m still confused. Anyone care to chime in on this? 30 studs seems perfect for 6-wide engines.

   7.completely remove the electronics for installation into odd shaped mocs

This is by far my favorite idea. By removing the electronics and placing them into a smaller more tightly fitting box you gain the opportunity to put it into more mocs whether they’re trains or a something completely different. Another advantage is you can move the receiver eyes to different possibly more hidden locations and you can provide power to the unit in alternate methods.

Again this is just my opinion. You’re welcome to disagree.

Ondrew

As I see it 4) and 7) are related since for me they both solve the same problem which is this: seven-wide trains are pretty much ruined by the 6x30 baseplate.

Basically it’s very difficult to shroud a six-wide plate to make it seven-wide and still look good. I have some potential solutions but they aren’t that great. If I stripped back the baseplate to make it just an IR sensor section (which is a 4x10 plate over a 6x8 box) then that is all I would have to embed, which can be done much more easily than building seven-wide on six-wide.

Of course a fully modded pack would be best but I lack the skills to make one so would be stock with option 4) as a solution.

Hope that helps.

Tim