 Trains / 26567
Re: Creating a GBC for a train layout, chapter 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:46:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Brian Davis wrote:

Another apect I was recently thinking about is where tracks usually cross baseplates. For instance, is it “easier” to get a straight section right next to the edge of a 32x32 baseplate, or six studs away? Or eight? Or... what? Does this always have to be planned, in detail, for the entire layout (ugh), or are there some standard (like Moonbase proposes, although I’ve never seen it applied) that make certain spacings “magic” (easy, common)?

If I want to build a module that unloads, the spacing from the track is critical. Other train GBc modules might be shifted and the gaps “patched” with green plates or something... but at least for load/unload modules, where the track has to go is the starting point. Is there a preexisting standard (or at least convention), or is this something we should define now for the train GBC versions?

Parallel tracks usually have eight studs between them, because that’s the spacing you get when you add a siding. It’s also the spacing you get if you put cross tracks across them.

In fact, the 16x16 cross track is the best piece to work out your spacing from, even if you never use one in the layout. If you put one right in one corner of a baseplate, you’ll see that straight tracks should then go four studs in from the edge of the baseplate, and every 16th stud thereafter.

If you mark out the baseplates in 16x16 squares, you can put one straight or cross track piece in the middle of each. A 90° corner then fits in 3x3 such squares of space. A wider corner just has an extra straight at each end.

Of course you can put the track anywhere, but this is a good guide for setting a standard.

For moonbases though, I did suggest putting the track on the edges, straddling the 48x48 baseplates (again, centre a cross track on the corner of four baseplates, and work outwards from that). This lets you run the track down the (doubled-up) 4-stud wide gap around the edge of each module (part of the standard).

Jason Railton