 Trains / 26559
Re: modding the new IR trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:15:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   1.put BBB wheels on the new train motors

Might make your wheel spacing awkward, but a good idea. Has anyone tried this with a 9V BASIC motor?.

   2.install a battery pack instead of using AA’s

Just putting in some high-capacity NiMH batteries would extend the life from one charge. But, building in a charging socket and circuit would be neat, as you’d ordinarily need two fast chargers to do all 6 batteries.

   3.remove the motor from an old train motor and use it as a power pickup for the IR trains

Maybe better to add brush pickups and a smoother/regulator to the underside. Still sounds a bit dodgy to me though. Probably easier just to install DCC all round rather than find yourself stuck with the 3-train limits of the IR system.

   4.shorten the train base from 30 studs to XX studs

30 studs is OK for shoebox diesels, but there’s more to life! I’d probably start by sawing one down to just the centre 10 stud section, then saw 3 studs off each end of what’s left and glue them back on. A pair of 2x3 plates, or a 4x4 plate with the last 0.8mm trimmed off, glued under each end would hold it together.

Then, you’ve got a 6x16 baseplate you can mount ordinary wheelsets under, 1 stud in from the end. It’d work as a battery tender or dummy wagon. You could hitch it behind a steam engine or small shunter. Hopefully LEGO will get round to doing one of these for real.

I’m a bit put out by the idea of a big block on top of the baseplate, as I wanted to do a crane bed and it may be hard to disguise. With this version, I could hook it up behind the crane as a support wagon.

   5.change the IR frequencies for additional channels

Leave this one to John Barnes...

   6.convert from IR to RC

John could probably build a pretty impressive multi-channel RF system that runs off the battery box. I bet he can’t wait to get started, actually.

There are some standard RF modules around which would fit inside the top 4x10 box. I looked some of them up before, and they were just a little too big for a standard 4x8 battery box. They’d need a relay or power regulator on the output though. I could probably put together an on/off or directional one, but I wouldn’t have a clue about latching with the controller circuit or doing speed control, so I’d probably be better sticking with the IR.

   7.completely remove the electronics for installation into odd shaped mocs

May be tricky if they rely on plastic or metal structures inside the box. You’d have to re-attach the sensors somewhere too, so you may just be better with making something up from a standard RF module again.

What I want to know is, will we be able to buy IR baseplates and motors directly from LEGO? I think there are plenty of AFOLs who’d love to get their hands on these trains, but don’t really want a load of plastic track with it.

Jason Railton