 Trains / 18962
Re: Train(ee) newbie wants to know how large table?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:48:43 GMT

Welcome to trains, Tobbe.

If you haven't discovered it yet, Track Designer is a nice utility to help
plan layout designs.  You can find it at the Lego Train Depot at the
following link:  http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/  Other good ways for
getting plan ideas are to review the train club layouts.  Granted, you'll
probably want to build something on a much smaller scale, but this is a good
way to get basic ideas of what general designs work well.

My advice would be to build the largest table that is useable in your room.
Of course you'll still want to be able to enter the room and walk around
some or all of your layout, but other than that I'd recommend planning for
future expansion instead of restricting your space too much from the beginning.

A small layout may fit on a 1 x 2.5 meter table; large ones can fill your
entire room.  Unused table space can always be used as a work area.

Hope this helps.

Andreas Stabno
http://www.lugnet.com/~19/

In lugnet.trains, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
SNIP
I'm moving to a bigger apartment and will get my very own room for LEGO so I
can have a table for a permanent train layout. This is a unique opurtunity I
guess.

How large table do I need for a small layout? My collection is in the 40K range
so I wont add a town around the layout (for now) just the train itself and a
few extras. I own 10 straigts, 24 curved and 2 switching rails. I will probably
get more. I will build my own table so I'm not restricted to default table
sizes, still I don't have *that* much space.