 Trains / 18964
Re: Train(ee) newbie wants to know how large table?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
<snip>

My advice is to check out the online resources for table designs... scan the
club websites. At least PNLTC and MichLUG and the Brickish Association have
their table designs on line.

After you do that, pick a size you like. But my advice is to make it a
multiple of 16 studs in both directions.

I know you probably use metric, but in inches, that's about 5 inches. (just
a smidge over, actually). So you'll see tables at 30 x 30, 30 x 60 (these
two are what MichLUG/LTC uses), at 40 x 40 (WAMALUG) at 45 x something, and
so on.

This makes it possible to completely and exactly cover your table with
baseplates. Pick a size you like and go with it. Make your tables modular.
Right now on my basement layout I have an irregular arrangment of several 60
x 30 and 30 x 30 tables... I can add more or take some away as needs dictate.

You may be thinking, why care about the size, why care about modularity, but
if you get involved with a club at some point in the future, it will be good
that your tables are made to some standard instead of just random sized, and
that they can be rearranged instead of being one large fixed size.

Hope that helps and good luck. Welcome to our nightmare! :-)