 Trains / 18997
Re: Train(ee) newbie wants to know how large table?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:44:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Wilson writes:
Yesterday I got the chance to by 4559 Cargo Railway and 4552 Cargo Crane • along
with some extra rail second hand for $85 and I took the chance.

hehehe... you will be assimilated!

At first I thought you meant executed then I bothered to look assimilated up
and I think my g/f is the one who's most thrilled (which is a *very* good thing
since she's not bothered to touch my bricks previously). Now she's been
playing/building with LEGO five days in a row on her own (the first few days
thanks to some 4106/4179 buckets I bought).

Good advice from others. Bear in mind:

You need 30" width of table for the track to turn 180 degrees. If you have 2
tracks running parallel, you need more width.

Train club show layouts are not necessarily a good basis for a home layout,
unless you only want to watch your train going round and round and round...
If you want something more interesting, I suggest looking at model railroad
layout planning resources for simple layouts (though you have to watch out
for reversing loops). Try here for a start:

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/000/722hixbk.asp
http://www.trackplanning.com/
http://www.atlasrr.com/products/fanlayout/hoflintro.html
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/extended.html