 Trains / 18970
Re: Train(ee) newbie wants to know how large table?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:09:37 GMT

Yesterday I got the chance to by 4559 Cargo Railway and 4552 Cargo Crane • along
with some extra rail second hand for $85 and I took the chance.

hehehe... you will be assimilated!

How large table do I need for a small layout? My collection is in the 40K • range
so I wont add a town around the layout (for now) just the train itself and • a
few extras. I own 10 straigts, 24 curved and 2 switching rails. I will • probably
get more. I will build my own table so I'm not restricted to default table
sizes, still I don't have *that* much space.

Good advice from others. Bear in mind:

You need 30" width of table for the track to turn 180 degrees. If you have 2
tracks running parallel, you need more width.

Train club show layouts are not necessarily a good basis for a home layout,
unless you only want to watch your train going round and round and round...
If you want something more interesting, I suggest looking at model railroad
layout planning resources for simple layouts (though you have to watch out
for reversing loops). Try here for a start:

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/000/722hixbk.asp
http://www.trackplanning.com/
http://www.atlasrr.com/products/fanlayout/hoflintro.html
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/extended.html
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/ex_plus.html

Kevin
NEW Half-Timbered Shops kit 1400+++ pieces!
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-bwh.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1