 Trains / 18284
Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:10:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Kendig writes:
Are there any web pages which have a study of how to line up Lego train
layouts with diagonal track?

That is, I want a little more freedom in my layout than forcing it to
always use ninety-degree curves and parallel/perpendicular tracks, but
I've found that if I try to be *too* freeform, nothing lines up and I
end up with two-inch gaps between the pieces I'm trying to connect.

If someone else has already done the math for how to make curves using
one, two, or three pieces of standard 22.5-degree curved track and then
get the track to line up properly and snap together firmly without
having to rely on any 'wiggle room,' that would be a great help to me!
Thanks!

See the resources in the header of the newsgroup, in particular the .tdl
layouts available at the train depot. Doodle your design in Track Designer
to see if it works first and you'll reduce your frustration.

Now to your particular question,

first, if you do the same diagonal shift on both sides of a loop, you'll
never get out of alignment.

Second, there are configurations that are very very close to working out.

One I (re?)discovered just the other day is useful in making dogbones that
end up with the standard 16 stud on center double track spacing...

Try this in Track Designer

go straight a while... then do one track piece LESS than 3/4 of a circle. Go
one straight. Now go 3 curves in the other direction. Now go straight. You
are 16 studs on center, or very very close, and your track ends are at the
same exact point as the track coming in, or very very close.

There are other ones too. In particular I found a folded dogbone config that
has 45 degree loops at both ends and one fold that worked out pretty close.