 Trains / 18348
Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:05:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward writes:
"James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> writes:
If you're trying to keep things squared up, the two magic numbers
are 7 and 11.

which is to say, a corner that keeps straights lined up with the
normal Lego geometry can be one of 3 things:

4 curves
1 curve, 11 straights, 3 curves
2 curves, 7 straights, 2 curves

There are similar combinations for coming off of switches, but they
have the same drawback as the corners: it takes lots of space.

The 1-11-3 design isn't very close at all, according to Track
Designer.  Here's what I did: straight, curve right, 11 straights (5
switches and a straight, but that is equivalent), 3 curves right,
cross-track.  Then from the cross-track, a bunch of straights, 4 right
curves, some more straights, and another cross-track.  But it doesn't
line up...

John is correct; it's 1-13-3 that works.  Blame my faulty memory, it's been
a bit since I played in TD.

However, when I tried the 2-7-2 design I found it to be much closer,
but still not close enough for Track Designer to consider it
connected: 2 rights, 7 straights (3 switches and a straight), 2
rights, and a cross piece, connecting back up to the beginning in the
same manner as above.

The 2-7-2 is close enough that it connects physically very soundly.  The
offset is roughly 1 stud.  Easy enough to cover with slop, with this many
track sections involved.

The dogleg number is like the large corner.  switch, 13 straights, curve
(back to parallel), then close the loop.  This will generate a
close-enough-for-TD connection (which warns you about the short-circut).

A siding can use switch-6straight-curve-curve-6straight-switch to be close
enough for slop to absorb; not quite close enough for TD.

Hope that helps, sorry about the confusion caused by my faulty memory!

thanks,

James