 Trains / 24511
Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:58:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Gallagher wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Joe Strout wrote:

<snip>

P.S. It doesn't seem off-topic to me -- presumably using an app like this would
really help you plan a layout where the diagonals line up properly.

The link I sent is the program I used to work out the diagonal and other
layout designs.

<snip>

Gallagher

Having done a few experiments with real track, I used Excel to tell me whether
particular combinations of track pieces would line up.  Since the spreadsheet
can do it, I used accurate figures for the track geometry.

I then made tables of each family of curves and double bends, in order to see
which configurations worked best to make multiples of 8 or 16 studs in each
direction.

I defined the following nomenclature for double bends:
A = One curve plus one reverse curve.
A+n = One curve + n straights + one reverse curve.
B = Two curves plus two reverse curves.
B+a,b,c = One curve + a straights + one curve + b straights + one reverse curve
+ c straights + one reverse curve.
C = Three curves + three reverse curves.
C+a,b,c,d,e etc...

Combinations that work particularly well with whole or half multiples of 16
studs are:
A+12        13L   x  5W
B+0,0,0      3.5L x  1.5W (use in pairs)
                          (used in 7777 railway ideas book track plan A)
B+0,5,0      7L   x  5W
B+1,1,1      6L   x  3W
C+1,1,3,1,1  9L   x  8W
C+1,2,2,2,1 10L   x  8.5W (use in pairs)
C+2,1,1,1,2 10L   x  7W
C+2,2,5,2,2 13L   x 12W

For curves I used three numbers a,b,c to define the number of straights between
each of the four curves in a 90 degree corner.  Each set of a,b,c became a table
of curves, with successive rows incrementing a,b,and c by 1.  Adding a straight
at each angle together in this way adds 32.219 studs to both the length and the
width of the corner.  Given the actual size of the corner, the 0.219 studs is a
very small percentage, so it can be ignored because the track is slightly
flexible.  I regularly use curves of 1,1,1 and 2,2,2 for 8mm scale trains, since
they represent 80ft and 120ft radius curves respectively.

My tables have not identified any corners with a,b and c different that line up
well on both straight sides, thoguh there are some that line up with the whole
multiple of 16 studs on one side and a half multiple on the other side,
permitting them to work in combination with a double bend such as C+1,2,2,2,1.

Mark