 Trains / 18283
Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:18:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Kendig writes:
Are there any web pages which have a study of how to line up Lego train
layouts with diagonal track?

That is, I want a little more freedom in my layout than forcing it to
always use ninety-degree curves and parallel/perpendicular tracks, but
I've found that if I try to be *too* freeform, nothing lines up and I
end up with two-inch gaps between the pieces I'm trying to connect.

If someone else has already done the math for how to make curves using
one, two, or three pieces of standard 22.5-degree curved track and then
get the track to line up properly and snap together firmly without
having to rely on any 'wiggle room,' that would be a great help to me!
Thanks!

It's pretty much impossible actually.  I'd like to be able to just side-step
a track in by one straight's length (16 studs) for a layout, but the only
way to do it with correct geometry is to branch it in with a point and leave
the straight-on dead-end as a siding.

The only other geometries are approximate.  Try putting one or two straights
part way round a curve to tweak the run-out from a curve if you need a small
adjustment, but it's never going to fit perfectly.

Jason J Railton