 Trains / 18327
Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:14:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:

I did use the compact cross-over in this other one to get this "folded"
figure-eight to fit on my table.  Notice the odd spurs I'm stuck with in
order to funnel the track into the cross-track.  Not too pretty, but it is
the longest loop I've found for my table, in terms of time that elapses
until the train returns to where it started.

Since a couple people commented on this one I figured I'd mention that over
the weekend I came up with a "folded-figure-eight" that avoids the use of
points on the inner loop but still fits on my table:
Unfortunately it requires one more curved track than I currently own.  I
took the idea a step further and removed the last remaining switch track
(and the extra curve) which makes the layout about one straight wider.
Although it doesn't fit in the grid of baseplates I use to approximate my
table, it does barely fit on my real table.  (Rather I should say, the rails
fit but the ends of the sleepers hang over the edges of the table.)
I built this one and it uses every piece of track I own, I even have to use
my switches as stand-ins for straights (I guess my scarcity of track reveals
my newbie-ness).  I think this may well be the longest continuous (folded)
loop I'll be able to make for my table.  I think it really enhances running
a long train like the Super Chief to extend the amount of time before the
train returns to where it started.  I know Track Designer creations aren't
the flashiest MOCs in the world, but maybe this will be useful to someone
who has limited space like me and thinks watching a full Santa Fe train
going around the 4561 oval is kind of ridiculous.

I've also included some pictures there showing how the construction is
derived from a basic "pure" structure and then beat down to size by using
the fundamental ideas of the compact cross-over (1).  Again, may be useful
to other newbies.

Regards,
Paul

1: A curved track is very-very close to being the same size as two
half-straights joined at 157.5 degrees (180 - 22.5).  Besides being the
fundamental reason why the compact cross-over works, it also is why I'm able
to replace the two hi-lighted curves in this picture with a cross-track