 Trains / 1564
Re: Permanent outdoor train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 23:31:44 GMT

In article <FEEoGy.50y@lugnet.com>, Eric Brok <brok@fcjsvc.hvu.nl>
writes

James Powell wrote in message ...

LEGO tracks are not fit for outside usage and as far as I know there is no
standard gauge close enough to use instead. Duplo trains will do better
though :-)

Eric, is this hard earned experence?

Please, share the details.  I'd think that they would be OK outside...what
happenes?  do they rust?  I don't think that they'd melt/distort too much • over
a year or so...Anyone got any real experence?

Sorry, no actual experience. I just *expect* them to rust from rain and
distort from sun heat.
If you don't care wasting your track over a year or so it may do ofcourse.

Eric

I also have no experience of outdoor models, but I think the main
problem is the plastic, and the rail joints. The plastic will suffer in
the sun, and the joints will be in constant motion, as the metal will be
constantly expanding & contracting as the temperature varies. This will
eventually lead to the connections breaking down.

Nickel silver in long lengths is the best material, as there are fewer
joints, and nickel oxide conducts electricity :-)

I suggest making a track gauge for the correct Lego width, and making
your own, using model railway materials. Also bear in mind that if you
have long runs of track, you will have to add additional power feeds: 9V
doesn't go very far :-)
--
Tony Priestman