 Trains / 1608
Re: Permanent outdoor train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:37:45 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Dan Parker wrote in message ...

from PNLTC's show experience, I can attest that one can operate with loops • of
90 feet or more using one set of track leads -- all with no noticeable drop • in
performance.  Does this qualify as a "horse's mouth" answer?  :)

Hm, that's interesting, because I had noticed trains slowing down on the
other side of my 4'x6' table. But maybe I'm imagining things, or maybe it's
not level enough. Was that with a single motor on the track, or more than
one? Two motors will essentially double the voltage drop (twice the current
being drawn). My primary engines are all dual powered (partly because I've
got the motors, partly for appearance, partly for performance on grades).

Frank

I have to side with Frank on this one... run a 25 car train with 2 2
motor engines and you will see a speed drop on the far side of a 20 foot
loop. (see my apt pictures to see the layout I'm talking about, it's not
that big). Perhaps PNLTC is running those wimpy euro-trains with only
3-4 2 axle cars instead of REAL trains. :-)

I put power leads every 10 feet of track or so to combat it.

lugnet.