 Trains / 1581
Purity and Re: Permanent outdoor train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:09:44 GMT

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but this brings up an important
point: is anything/method that any LL does to display a model considered
"pure"?

It seems unlikely that in laying track in LL Carlsbad that TLG actually made
track but rather purchased it outright. Maybe you can find out where they got
it so that it would be much closer to "pure". If someone finds out, let us
know cuz I'm sure such a company would love our business.

I wouldn't fault anyone for not using real Lego-brand track outside. I'd want
the track to last awhile. Besides, train set boxes say, "For indoor use only",
so I take it that all components that can be kept inside should be kept inside
and all that can be used suitably for outside can be used there.

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
You could do what LL USA did-- lay your own track.  Make it the same gauge as
9v, and use O scale rails.  Points might get tricky, but I think that would be
the way to go.

-John

Eric Brok wrote:

James Powell wrote in message ...

LEGO tracks are not fit for outside usage and as far as I know there is no
standard gauge close enough to use instead. Duplo trains will do better
though :-)

Eric, is this hard earned experence?

Please, share the details.  I'd think that they would be OK outside...what
happenes?  do they rust?  I don't think that they'd melt/distort too much • over
a year or so...Anyone got any real experence?

Sorry, no actual experience. I just *expect* them to rust from rain and
distort from sun heat.
If you don't care wasting your track over a year or so it may do ofcourse.