 Town / 9600
Re: 10182 Cafe Corner... short reveiw and modified
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:39:27 GMT

In lugnet.town, Timothy Gould wrote:

Just saw this on BS. I’ve heard the set mentioned by name on Eurobricks but to see it... just WOW.

Tim

So I finally got my hands on a cafe corner the other day, which I have to add is only my 3rd post color change set purchase and I sat down a built it yesterday.

Upon opening the uber cool new recloseable box the WOW factor really hit me. This set is literally an AFOL’s dream. There are tons of parts in useable sizes quantities and colors. I was very impressed. I sorted the bags and began drooling over the dark blue brick, which was seemingly included just for AFOL enjoyment.

So I started building it swapping every dark blue brick I could for tan and 4hrs later I had the finished model sitting in front of me minus all but 12 dark blue parts. So I sat the model in front of me and took it all in. all in all I really have to say it’s an awesome build but there were several things that just really bugged me.

During the second floor build I was surprised to find that for 7 bricks in height the inner and outer walls had no connections to each other. This was really a pain as I had a hard time keeping it together during assembly however once assembled it is plenty strong. My only other gripe is the 3 holes left by the inner support structure that all of the turntables are connected too. These holes really detract from the model and I just couldn’t take it. I fixed the top one by covering it with a 1x4 tan plate but the others however, were not so easy. I tried finding simple fixes and although a 1x2 reddish brown panel would have fixed the second floor hole, I decided to modify my set quite a bit so it flowed better all the while eliminating the holes as well.

you can see the solution i came up with here: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/roj2323/ideas/my-cafe.jpg

please LMKWYT, ondrew