 Town / 5513
Re: The "return" of Town in 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 06:03:59 GMT

"Timothy D. Freshly" wrote:

"Allan Bedford" <ExpertBuilder-DELETE-TO-REPLY@apotome.com> wrote in message
news:H6B7uD.5st@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.town, Frank Filz writes:
Allan Bedford wrote:
Except for some of the wonderful original creations that people come up
with.  The real problem, in my opinion, is that some of the fan created
buildings are miles and away better than what the company puts out as • sets.
How can LEGO compete with such talented fans?  No smilie here... I • think
this is a real issue.

While it would be lovely to see more LEGO sets like the Blacksmith's
Shop, I don't expect TLC to ever compete with the buildings that AFOLs
(and kids) build. Why? At the nominal price of 10 cents a brick, the
types of buildings that AFOLs build would be too expensive for TLC's
product line.

So, if I understand you, you're sort of saying that the Blacksmith's Shop • was a
good idea, but one that was overpriced? Or am I misreading your stance on
this?

Not trying to answer for Frank, but I understood him to mean that while the
Blacksmith Shop is a great set, in general, LEGO will not "compete" with the
level of AFOL building constructions (many of which contains thousands or
even tens of thousands of pieces).

Yea, that's what I was getting at. And even the Blacksmith shop would
normally be a $60 set (I'm real curious as to why it is such a bargain).
At $60 I think the Blacksmith shop would be a hard sell for kids. Now
take some of these larger AFOL buildings that folks every once in a
while say "that should be a set", now price them out...

I'll be real curious as to how many $270 ISDs get sold to kids. But
something like that can sell much easier than a $100 building because of
the uniqueness of it. Of course a similar sized AFOL model would have to
sell for over $1000...

I agree with Alan that a longer list of town buildings would really help
LEGO reach out to more kids.

I agree also, though others are right that kids are mostly looking for
action stuff. Look at other toys. You see a lot of police and fires
stations there also. Though there is one thing which I think would sell,
a farm. A construction site would be another winner. Of course both of
those are action and play oriented.

Of course the current line up even has a house...

Frank