 Town / 5508
Re: The "return" of Town in 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:09:07 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:
Except for some of the wonderful original creations that people come up
with.  The real problem, in my opinion, is that some of the fan created
buildings are miles and away better than what the company puts out as sets.
How can LEGO compete with such talented fans?  No smilie here... I think
this is a real issue.

While it would be lovely to see more LEGO sets like the Blacksmith's
Shop, I don't expect TLC to ever compete with the buildings that AFOLs
(and kids) build. Why? At the nominal price of 10 cents a brick, the
types of buildings that AFOLs build would be too expensive for TLC's
product line.

Actually, expense of sets may be getting to be a problem. I've been
delaying making my free shipping order because I'm trying to decide if I
really want to spend so much on the ISD. Sure, it's a nifty looking set,
but chances are I won't build it. While I might eventually need many of
the grey plates, I don't need more angled grey plates. It does have some
parts I want, but I'm starting to think I might be better off buying
them on BrickLink.

On the other hand, there generally are sets which are good for building
normal houses. The Freestyle/Classic/Creator buckets and tubs usually
have some doors and windows. Of course they never have quite enough roof
bricks, and usually have too high a door to window ration, but
fundamentally, the parts to build houses are there. What would be nice
though is to get some sticker sheets every once in a while with various
shop signs and such (of course those of us willing to be slightly impure
can go buy decals from a model railroading catalog - I prefer to pretty
much keep my models to parts which TLC provides - though I did stoop to
some impurity to get some Wolfpack sails...).

Frank