 Technic / 7085
Re: Too much crane?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:09:21 GMT

"Shiri Dori" <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GsEzyM.280@lugnet.com...

Wow, I think I actually understood that. <grin> Is that the pin that
actually has a stud-like top?

Not quite, although they are similar, and you can use that part in this
situation, it just isn't very strong. This is the one here:

   http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3749

Hmm... I wouldn't go as far as to say that most cranes look as lovely as
nature. But I know what you mean, yes. In Boston it was always a horror
going downtown to the Big Dig, I mean the place is as ugly as it gets.

I suppose it all depends on perspective again, I have always loved seeing
building sites, quarries, demolition sites, and all the machines and
activities going on there. From what I hear about the Big Dig it sounds like
a very ambitious project.

I've
never seen a mobile crane as elegant as yours in RL, although from that • page
there's a mention of the actual crane so I'm guessing it exists... :-) • Some
(real) castles are as ugly as it gets, too, while many are really • beautiful
and awesome, even though they were built in thought of the function.

The real crane does indeed exist, I thought at first it was a cool looking
wee thing but when I started to build it I realised it was a cool looking
large thing. This was confirmed by driving past a similar vehicle on the
motorway, these machines are huge.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say about function
dictating form and leading to an aesthetically pleasing design, that is
exactly what I was thinking of. Quite recently I saw a large loader, similar
to the lego Front End Loader, http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8464 . Not
something you would think of as beautiful, but the design of the bucket
linkage was amazing - the individual links and arms resembled dinosaur
bones! Presumably this is nature and design coming up with a similar
solution to similar problems, namely the creation of large movable load
bearing structures prone to shock loads, or perhaps nature inspired the
design. Whatever it was I still find these things fascinating.

Jennifer