 Technic / 7084
Re: Too much crane?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:52:26 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
news:qrdofi4zn9o.fsf@eos.uio.no...
Now I understand why you needed the grey minifig hands!

Well spotted! I thought things were maybe getting a bit much when I started
to worry about the colour of the minifig hands being used as fake hydrualic
pipe connectors, but once the idea was there, it just had to be done :-)

I also like
the barcode truck wheels.  They are a favorite of mine, being so
realistic loking.

They are indeed excellent and you can get them in very close to the turning
point of the steering, a big advantage IMHO. The only downside is that they
are a bit large for a technic figure scale truck, the upside being that they
are ideal for a technic figure scale all terrain crane. Another interesting
point is that with the weight of the crane (3.6kg) they start behaving like
real pneumatic tyres.

I'm looking forward to seeing the how the suspension works.  With that
much weight, you cannot be using sprung axles?  I'm guessing you're
using some kind of tilting axles, or perhaps a combination of the two.

A combination - I took a different approach to the suspension, I suppose bit
like Bob Fay suggests about changing the nature of the problem to be solved.
Rather than the goal being to smooth out bumps in the road, I changed the
goal to being "keep all six wheels on the ground at one time", which makes
things a lot more doable.

Jennifer