 Technic / 6827
Re: Too much crane?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:37:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
Thanks for the reply! The problem with the corrugated tubes was finding a
way of attaching them to traditional bricks in a seamless way. Usually an
axle joiner and pin or similar is required, which works great in the normal
technic style but tends to break up lines on a model team style model. The
only practical way I could think of in this context was to put a technic
axle pin into the tube and then the other half of the pin into an upside
down brick. The reason for using an axle pin was that the raised part in the
middle is smaller than that on a standard pin, and therefore provided a less
obvious join.

Wow, I think I actually understood that. <grin> Is that the pin that
actually has a stud-like top? I remember a piece like that from the big
airplane I had (a black and yellow one, I'm sure you guys know the numbers
by heart just like I can tell you what the Guarded Inn is without blinking. ;-)

No doubt this is bread and butter stuff to space guys, but there was a lot
of other funny stuff going on in the front of both cabs, with things at 1/2
stud offsets, sitting sideways and who knows what else. Doing it is one
thing, but doing it in a way that it won't fall apart when someone breathes
near the model was another!

Ahh, yes. I know this from the mechas my boyfriend Chris builds. He goes
nuts with all the SNOT, and I love offsetting things by 1/2 a stud myself. I
can't get enough of those "1x2 tiles w/center stud" parts. ;-)  He gave me
one small mech once and it fell apart every time I knocked into my bureau!
By the end of the year it was smashed in pieces and I couldn't figure out
how to put it back. Ugh!

I'd be keen to hear if anyone can think of
others ways to approach this problem.

Hmm, I think you'd see lots of great ideas in the .build.mecha group...
trust me, it's an eye-opener to go read some "foreign" newsgroup once in a
while. You'd think we're different worlds rather than different parts of the
same hobby!

it also looks lovely in the bargain (which is more than can be said
about a lot of real-life cranes!).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-) Some modern cranes are fantastic
looking machines, in my opinion the German ones are generally the best in
this area with US mobile cranes looking more utilitarian. Again it is the
odd situation where pure mechanical function dictates form and the machine
ends up looking remarkably elegant, I suppose this is akin to nature in many
ways.

Hmm... I wouldn't go as far as to say that most cranes look as lovely as
nature. But I know what you mean, yes. In Boston it was always a horror
going downtown to the Big Dig, I mean the place is as ugly as it gets. I've
never seen a mobile crane as elegant as yours in RL, although from that page
there's a mention of the actual crane so I'm guessing it exists... :-)  Some
(real) castles are as ugly as it gets, too, while many are really beautiful
and awesome, even though they were built in thought of the function. Well,
maybe *you* wouldn't see them as beautiful. I guess you're right, beauty
*is* in the eye of the beholder... :-)

Nice talking to you,
-Shiri