 Technic / 16424
Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:33:39 GMT

Nice box !

I ran most ratios through a pathetic microsoft product to derive a comparible metric read-out for those that made the transition from the stone age.

put simply: 1 1:12 3 20:36 1 16:24

produces 1:104.9 at 95.5mm per rotation or for every 10.026 meters.

2.6 meters error per Kilometer.

I only ran declining ratios to a factor of 8, so there may be a result with less error using either more sequences or a combination of delining and increasing torque combinations.

I’ll try to put one together for the next SLTC show using two cars. The lead car showing kilometers, the trailing car to show 100ths and 10s of meters plus hold the gear box.

I imagine the same could be done to calculate yards, lightyears or parsecs if so inclined....

hm, the same BB wheel would need to turn 99,058,539,174,952,789 times to travel a lightyear...

Steve