 Technic / 16423
Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:49:54 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
And BTW, did you see this:

I had not seen that.  It's ... it's ... it's gorgeous!  I'm stunned.  I've been
staring at it all morning, dissecting it, and ithcing to get home and build a
version.  I think this would work better than my cog-and-pin method, and I'm
dying to try and implement this right away.  I love the aesthetics of its
functioning.

Thanks for the link!  I expected a longer downtime before Rev. 2.0, but I don't
think I can wait.

I'd love to see what you come up with! however I fear Philo may be right about
it being too large.

Your mechanism is shorter at 3 studs (2 cogs and a support) my chain precession
drive is 4 studs long. Also the precession mechanism needs 9 studs clearance to
turn vertically (8.5 to be exact) and 8 studs horizontally, and this may make it
too big for a train!

The precession mechanism turns in both directions, but it does favour one
direction, this is due to the chain tread link being offset (not in the middle
between the chain pivot pins) It does need to be aligned well to run smoothly,
which makes me think your cog method is more robust. Chain alignment can be
tricky also there are 44 chain link bars and forty teeth, meaning that one or
two links out, and it will not give enough tick over turn at the right point.
even running the chain the other way makes a difference (because of the offset)

I like your number drums better than mine! and agree that a tick makes for a far
better counter! as for readability you could screen off the dials leaving only a
slot to read from, and yes colours for complete and partial miles.

If you were to use the precession mechanism you could place your number stickers
directly on the track links, making smaller dials, and making screening them
easier.

Its a nice project!

Regards

Mike.