 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4273
4272  |  4274
Subject:
LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:33:27 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).

A Little Background.

After religiously attending them for several years, I stopped going to LEGO train shows in 2003. At that time I had reviewed my work-life-play balance, and opted to focus my club-related LEGO commitments on the regular NELUG meetings and Brikwars games instead of train shows. While I continued to build train MOCs regularly I let my attendance at these great events lapse.

But when NELUG decided to participate in a small train show a mere 20 miles from my house, I couldn’t resist. So I spent a couple of weeks repairing and refurbishing all of my old trains, and finishing up some new offerings that hadn’t been shown before.

The show itself was fantastic. The setup and teardown was smooth, the layout – though significantly smaller than NELUG’s standard offering – looked great, and all of the people we encountered were extremely pleasant. It was a wonderful reintroduction into Train Shows, and I’m looking forward to reintegrating them into my LEGO life.

While at the show I quickly remembered how much I enjoyed the audience and participant enthusiasm, the gorgeous aesthetic of a full display … and the inspirations that seem to come fast and frequently over the course of a Train Show weekend. At one point during the weekend I asked myself, “Self, how far do you think that train has gone this weekend?” I did some quick calculations and, based on the size of the loop and its approximate speed compared to spectators walking alongside it, came up with a distance of about 16-18 miles over two days. An impressive achievement for a little toy running in circles! Still, I thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice to actually have an odometer to measure the distance travelled … ?”

Well, we all know where that leads.

Some Objectives.

I had a couple of objectives in trying to design and build a working odometer:
  1. I wanted to it be compact enough to fit in with most trains. Ideally it would fit in with a 6-wide train.
  2. I wanted to optimize the accuracy so the measured error was as small as possible.
  3. I wanted the readout to be easily and instantly readable by a layperson. That is, I didn’t want to incorporate any conversions or esoteric displays that would require any explanation or extensive interpretation.
  4. I wanted the design to be robust. This train car was to be transported to and from shows, pulled around in a layout for hours on end, picked up and displayed for demonstration purposes, and all without skipping a beat. This meant it shouldn’t be fiddly, either.
  5. In general only standard LEGO components would be used. One notable exception was that I knew from the start I might end up using BBB wheels. Another was that I was willing to make custom labels for the number readouts. Those aside, I intended to use all official parts.
  6. No RCX or NXT! For some reason I get a kick out of solutions that incorporate old-school mechanisms to perform relatively complicated feats – especially if the same task could be achieved relatively easy with a microprocessor. Plus it drives Joe Comeau crazy that I refuse to use the power of computing, and that’s just sheer bonus.

How Should the Data be Displayed?

As I began to attack the problem, I came to the realization that there were two elements that would inform much of the subsequent design: the distance display scheme, and the measuring wheels with their reducing gear train. Of these, the latter turned out to be the greater challenge.

In keeping with the robust design philosophy I quickly settled on using the new technic tread links in the display. Besides linking together strongly, the fact that they could accept technic half pegs ensured that numerical indicators could be attached securely.

I initially envisioned using a simple gear reduction between the various dials; that is, a constant mesh between the tenths and the units, and between the units and the tens, and so on. As long as the gearing ratios were correct, this would work fine. But it’s not how a mechanical car odometer works! The smallest unit on an old fashioned car odometer rotates continuously, but all of the other dials “click” into place, from one digit to the next. This makes it easy to read, in that only the last dial needs to be interpolated between the digits. I decided to try and emulate this functionality. This would entail some sort of periodic engagement to advance the next dial the correct amount – more challenging, but more in line with the design aesthetic I was after. Besides, it was important that a layperson could read the results, and most people would not want to try and interpolate the mileage off a series of 4 or 5 “in-between” readings.

My initial display attempt used the small technic link gears and a belt of 20 links. Every other link had a small brick block attached to it on which a number label could be attached. A technic pin on one link could easily engage with a three-bladed propeller tied to the next dial and turn it 120 degrees with every revolution. Coincidentally, 120 degrees on the small link gears is 2 teeth, which corresponds to two links – perfect! This would advance the next dial exactly one digit for every complete revolution. Unfortunately, this 20-link belt ended up being quite large. When assembled, my train car was much too tall. There was no way it would fit in with a 6-wide train, so it was back to the drawing board.

The large technic link gears, on the other hand, were also appealing in that they had ten teeth – just right for a 10-digit display. Using these, my display assembly could be much smaller. In order to advance the next dial one digit for every full revolution the reduction between dials would have to be 1:10. I opted to use a spoked interface to achieve the periodic dial-advancing engagement; the readily available small spoked pieces I could find were 2-bladed, 3-bladed, and 4-bladed. Of these, the best combination I came up with was the “Technic Pin Joiner Round with Four Bars 1L” (which during the engagement that occurs with every revolution will advance 90 degrees, or 1 blade, for a 1:4 reduction), plus a 16-to-40 tooth gear interface (for an additional 1:2.5 reduction – for a total of 1:10!).

Brickbuilt “panels” were attached to technic chain links wrapped around the 10-tooth link gear. Labels were made using a Casio EZ-Label Printer with 9mm white tape.

Which Drive Wheels Should be Used?

This question plagued me right up to the end of the project. Clearly the wheel needed to be compatible with LEGO track layouts, and it had to accept an axle so it can interface with the rest of the system.

On one hand a larger wheel – like a BBB wheel – provides a larger moment around the central axis when running. This larger moment could help overcome any friction in the gear train and prevent wheel slipping, ensuring a high level of accuracy. On the other hand, it’s not an official LEGO part.

Alternatively, the new LEGO Power Functions drive wheel – with its rubber band for additional friction – was an appealing option. Besides being an official part the rubber band promised a no-slip advantage. Even after I had built the entire design using BBB wheels, I couldn’t help thinking that maybe I should use the Power Functions wheels instead, so I started working on the analysis required to incorporate them. I needed to know the “official” running diameter of the wheel for all subsequent gear train calculations, so I enlisted the assistance that greatest purveyor of LEGO-related trivia, minutiae, and detailed information, Dave Eaton. While he sought out official word, he conducted some bench tests in his own kitchen. During these tests he noted that the rubber bands, while they themselves never slipped against the track, did at times slip against the wheels. That is, the rubber bands could rotate independently of the wheel axle – which is an unacceptable feature when rotational integrity is paramount! Suddenly my choice was much easier – official wheels were off the design board, and the BBB wheel design could stand!

Coincidentally, the larger wheels have another advantage. Because they rotate fewer times per linear distance traversed, the required gear reduction is less. This generally equates to (a) shorter computational times in the optimization program, and (b) fewer gears in the reducing gear train, which is easier to package and introduces less lash into the system.

Calculating the Gear Train.

This was really the meat and potatoes of the exercise. To what level of accuracy could LEGO gears translate a wheel’s rotation into a real-world measure of distance? This calculation starts at the beginning; the drive wheels. Using a pair of calipers I took a series of measurements of the BBB wheel diameters. Not-so-coincidentally, my measurements matched Ben’s cited 30.4mm drive diameter extremely well, so that number was confirmed to my satisfaction.

Based on my initial estimates of how far a train might travel in a show, I knew I wanted the readout to have a display range greater than 10 miles. At the same time I also wanted to ensure that an astute viewer could actually see some change in the odometer as the train travelled. The former requirement argued for pushing the readout into the higher places, while the latter argued for pushing it into the lower places. Between these two competing philosophies I settled on a range of 99.99 miles. That is, the highest dial would display the tens, and the lowest dial would display the hundredths.

The next step was to figure out how many rotations the wheels would make if they were to travel the distance represented by one full revolution of the smallest-place dial. As I had settled upon hundredths as the smallest increment of measurement, a full rotation of that dial represents one-tenth of a mile. Therefore the target gear reduction could be calculated by determining how many times the drive wheel would rotate, n, over the course of one tenth of a linear mile of travel; this then becomes the target gear reduction 1:n.

In order to obsessively optimize the accuracy of the gear reduction, I left nothing to chance. I wrote a Visual Basic program that would semi-brute-force through all of the possible combinations of gear reductions that can be achieved using standard LEGO parts, and continuously retain the combination that produced the smallest error as compared to the target gear reduction. I refer to the method as only “semi-brute-force” in that the program utilized several criteria on the basis of which it would rule out various combinations. For one, the program was limited only to “clean” gear combinations, or ones that would interface smoothly; no 14-tooth bevel gear meshed to a 24-tooth spur gear. For another, the program would skip combinations that were getting progressively worse; if an additional 1:8 reduction overshot the target reduction by more than the current error, the program would automatically skip 1:12, 1:16, 1:20, 1:24, 1:36, and 1:40.

With the BBB wheels and a reasonably small target distance (one-tenth of a mile), the program would run through all of the possible combinations and come up with a solution within about 15 minutes. I also tested the design envelope – using the small BBB wheels and a 1-mile distance increment, the calculation took just over 2 days to cycle through all of the allowed combinations!

At the end of this exercise, a gear train with the greatest possible accuracy was identified. Even so, this was not necessarily the exact one I would incorporate. Because there are often multiple combinations that can produce the same reduction using standard LEGO gearing, I would manipulate the results to maintain the same overall ratio but optimize the actual part selection. For example, I might replace a 12:20 and 20:36 pair of reductions with a single 12:36 or 8:24, or vice versa. Various design considerations informed these substitutions. In general, it was preferable to reduce the number of gears, so as to minimize lash. Similarly, I tried to minimize the number of 8:x gear reductions, as I’ve never been pleased with the amount of lash when using an 8-tooth gear. Furthermore, the 40-tooth gear could only be used sparingly, as it would have to be aligned near the center of the car body in order to keep the overall car size down.

Still, the final results were impressive and pleasing. Given the assumptions that went into the calculations (no slip on the track, all gear lash taken up, and accurate wheel diameter measurements) I was able to achieve an actual gear reduction that had an error of 0.1423% from the target – or better than 8 feet per mile. That is, when the dial on the odometer reads 1 mile, the actual distance gone by the car is 1 mile and 7.5 feet. Not bad! This was accomplished using a gear train consisting of 1x1:24, 3x12:20, 4x16:24, and 1x8:24 reductions.

And that, as they say … was the easy part. Next came packaging.

One of the original goals was to keep the design as compact as possible. I knew this would entail packing the gears in as tightly as possible, and that I would end up going mad if I tried to sort out the optimal design in real brick. I was not limited to studs-up construction, and I was willing to use offsets as small as half-stud and single plates. In fact, I might have even tried to do some fancy SNOTwork to incorporate half-plate offsets if there were a demonstrable advantage, but fortunately it never came to that.

Instead of going mad, I opted for virtual layouts using MLCAD. I can’t recommend this process enough – especially when working with gear trains in 2 or 3 dimensions. It is much easier to move a gear virtually and check alignments that to do it in real life, with all of the axle and technic brick rearranging that entails. Still, my computer shows 39 separate and unique variations on the gear layout design as I went through the process – and even most of those represent some evolution as I worked on them.

As much as possible, the large gear reduction pairs were frontloaded toward the beginning of the entire geartrain. This was an intentional design choice, as I wanted to make sure that the system developed as much torque as possible as quickly as possible. This would then allow the friction from the relatively smooth rolling contact between the BBB wheels and the rails to overcome all of the gear friction in the train, plus the significant force needed to rotate one or more of the higher-denomination display wheels.

For the few designs that I did build, the actual construction was straightforward. Using an MLCAD layout as a schematic, I could assemble the framework and build the entire assembly from scratch within an hour or so. To summarize the geartrain design process:
  1. Determine the contact diameter of the measuring wheels
  2. Specify the smallest increment size to be displayed
  3. Run the VB gearing optimization program to determine the best gear reduction
  4. Manually evaluate and substitute equivalent gear combinations, while retaining the same overall gear reduction
  5. Use MLCAD to virtually arrange gears into a compact and robust package
  6. Build real-life gear train according to MLCAD design
This process was repeated many times before the final arrangement was determined.

Clearly this design uses a large number of gears meshed in series. In order to reduce the effect of lash in the gearing, all of the dials have a progressing ratcheting gear; they “click” into place as they advance, and cannot swing back with vibration or motion. The only exception is the smallest-denomination dial, which is geared directly to the wheels.

As a direct result of this ratcheting feature, the train is unidirectional; it will bind up if run backwards. There are a number of arrows on the car to indicate the proper direction of motion. One benefit of this unidirectional design is that the slack in the gears should never be a problem. Once the system has taken up all of its gear lash in the forward direction there is never any more slack.

What’s Not Ideal?

As Dave Eaton likes to point out, the length of the outside rail on a circular train track will be longer than the length of the inside rail. This same effect holds true with nearly all train layouts that are seen in shows; the length of one of the rails will be longer than the other. So the question becomes – what do we truly want to measure? The distance the train has gone around the outside rail? The distance along the inner rail? Or some distance in between?

As implemented right now, the LEGOdometer will measure some distance that lies between the outer and inner rails, but exactly where in that range cannot easily be determined. The current design has two outer wheels linked by solid axles to the two inner wheels; these two axles are then geared together so that their rotations are tied together. Because the outer rail is longer, some of the wheels will have to slip when the car goes around a curve. In one extreme case, it would be the inner wheels that always slipped; in that case, the outer wheels would remain in perfect contact with the outer rail, and the measured distance would be that of the outer rail. Conversely, if the outer wheels always slipped to accommodate the different lengths of the two rails, the measured distance would correspond to the length of the inner rail. In actuality it is likely a blend of both inner and outer wheels slipping at different times, creating a quasi-averaged value that lies somewhere between the two.

A secondary effect to this actually occurs just as the truck enters or exits a curve. Because both wheel axles are geared together, the leading wheel pair is forced to rotate at the same speed as the trailing wheel pair. But when the leading pair has entered the curve while the trailing pair has not, one of the two pairs (or a combination of both pairs) is slipping. Conversely, the same thing will happen when the car exits a curve. In theory these effects would cancel each other out, but if they don’t they could introduce some error to the measurement.

Ideally, I like the idea of implementing a differential between inner and outer axles. This would average the length of the two rails, giving a “centerline” distance traveled. I have assembled a couple versions of a differential wheelset, but have opted against using it so far since the trucks that house them are significantly wider.

So How Well Does It Meet the Objectives?

On this score I am pleased! To address each of the objectives in turn:
  1. Size: having this as a consistent design goal produced great results. The overall dimensions of the “final” design are 10-3/8 L x 2-3/16 W x 4-7/8 inches H (~33 studs L x 8 studs W x 1 5 studs H). Although the car is about 8 studs wide at its widest, much of the body is actually between 6 and 7 studs wide. All told it is small enough to fit in with many 6-wide trains. It is, however, relatively heavy! Even after swapping out all of the regular bricks for lighter technic bricks, it weighs in at 1.47 lbs! This could be an issue if it were part of a long train, but on a moderate length train the motors should have no problem. On the other hand that mass ensures good contact between the wheels and the rails, such that the gear resistance does not induce any unwanted slip in the system.
  2. Measurement Accuracy: Accurate to within 7.5 feet per mile while measuring a distance that lies somewhere between the inner and outer rails! With an option to swap out the truck for a differential version that specifically measures the mid-rail distance!
  3. Readability: I’m mostly pleased with this. It’s not quite as intuitive as I’d like, but once someone is told where to look (“read the numbers along the orange markers”) the digits are legible and clear, easy to pick out. The decimal point isn’t quite ideal – in fact, as I’m typing this I’m realizing that it would probably be better to make the decimal dials in a different color for clarity. Still, with about 10 seconds of instruction anyone would be able to make out the reading, even as it goes by as part of a moving train.
  4. Durability: Success! I’ve moved this car around all over the place, taken it to show people, brought it into work on multiple occasions, and never had a single piece fall off. It requires one calibration during construction to ensure that all of the gears between the dials are aligned correctly, but from then on it’s simple to reset. I really like that the design is not at all fiddly!
  5. Standard LEGO only: The exceptions that I’ve made here – BBB wheels, and Tape Labels – were ones I anticipated going into the project. I sleep okay at night with the choices I made.
  6. No RCX or NXT: Ha! Mindstorms is for cheaters ;)

The total build time was about 2 months, 6 days a week, about an hour a day. So that comes out to … about 50 hours of actual build time? On top of that, there were about 10 hours of VB programming, and probably close to 20 hours of MLCAD geartrain layout work (39 iterations!). Add to that a couple hours of Bricklink order compilation, various technical investigations, photography and a 3700-word write-up, and the whole effort tallies up to about 100 hours. Roughly.

Other images are available here.

So Let’s See it Work!

Done! For the purposes of demonstration I threw together a simple drive stand that will set the wheels spinning. Here are two short videos: the first shows the straightforward rotation of the hundredths dial. The second shows the engagement of all four dials flipping over when the LEGOdometer passes any value of the form X9.99.

Video 1

Video 2

x-posted to .trains, .technic, www.trains-n-town.com, and www.nelug.org