 Technic / 16405
Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:25:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Very impressive! I don't know what is the most amazing: the odometer
itself or the extensive write-up ;o)

Thanks!  Both were fun ;)

Would you have more details (MLCad?) of the gearing/ratcheting between dials?

I don't yet, though I can easily do that.  The 4-spoked technic joiners, when
turned, rotate the 16T gear at the opposite end of the dial.  That gear then
connects to two idler gears which drive a 40T gear; that 40T gear then connects
through the framework to the next dial.

The ratchet mechanism is simply a rack gear on a loose technic pin that
interfaces with the 40T gear to ensure that it only rotates in one direction.

I'll see what I can do about modeling it.

And BTW, did you see this:

I had not seen that.  It's ... it's ... it's gorgeous!  I'm stunned.  I've been
staring at it all morning, dissecting it, and ithcing to get home and build a
version.  I think this would work better than my cog-and-pin method, and I'm
dying to try and implement this right away.  I love the aesthetics of its
functioning.

Thanks for the link!  I expected a longer downtime before Rev. 2.0, but I don't
think I can wait.