 Technic / 16429
Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:29:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stump Dunn wrote:
   I ran most ratios through a pathetic microsoft product to derive a comparible metric read-out for those that made the transition from the stone age.

put simply: 1 1:12 3 20:36 1 16:24

produces 1:104.9 at 95.5mm per rotation or for every 10.026 meters.

2.6 meters error per Kilometer.

I only ran declining ratios to a factor of 8, so there may be a result with less error using either more sequences or a combination of delining and increasing torque combinations.

I ran my VB program and came up with the following:

7 x 20:36
7 x 16:24

which produces an error of 0.991 meters per kilometer.

Of course, packaging that many gears is probably a bit challenging ... but I’ll bet you can do it ;)