 Technic / 16821
Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:10:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Very impressive! I don't know what is the most amazing: the odometer
itself or the extensive write-up ;o)

Thanks!  Both were fun ;)

Would you have more details (MLCad?) of the gearing/ratcheting between dials?

I don't yet, though I can easily do that.  The 4-spoked technic joiners, when
turned, rotate the 16T gear at the opposite end of the dial.  That gear then
connects to two idler gears which drive a 40T gear; that 40T gear then connects
through the framework to the next dial.

The ratchet mechanism is simply a rack gear on a loose technic pin that
interfaces with the 40T gear to ensure that it only rotates in one direction.

I'll see what I can do about modeling it.

Even with that explaination, I just can't seem to get the spacing and the
gearing right between the dials. If you have the time, please, I would like a
visual aid of the between walls and the between-dials gearing. When I first saw
this, I thought "wow, sooo cool! I have to build one for my modest layout!".
Several months of tinkering with LDraw and real pieces, and I'm still stuck
after the first dial setup.