 Storage / 78
Re: Sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:47:29 GMT

Duane Hess wrote:

Does anyone have a method to make sorting pieces easier?  I have several
tubs of Legos which still need to be sorted, but am feeling a bit lazy about doing
it.

Duane

When faced with that problem, i have tried several ways to speed up the sorting
process.
As an engineer type person, i will not be satisfied untill i find the fasted way.  My
current method is
as follows: (note: i use hardware style bins for storage)

If I am faced with a 'tub' of peices, i start by dumping them (or half of them) on the
floor.  I turn
the floor in fornt of me into a 2 section area, untouched, working, and done piles.  i
grab a handful of peices from
'untouched' and look through them for one type of peice.  then move the sorted handful
to 'done'.  by one peice i mean
a peice that is very common, such as a 2x1x1 or a 2x1x2 and such.  by eliminating the
most common peices
the bulk of your pile goes down much more rapidly.  after i have removed the stadard
type peice(usually acounting for
60-80 precent of the bulk of the pile) i can move on to the special peices whitch i
sort on the floor and then move in to
the drawers to lessen the number drawer openings i make.  Also, before ever starting,
i always remove BURPS and
other such lare mono-peices (including plates of about 6x6 or bigger).

i hope this helps.  i have put way too much anal-retentive based so i would feel much
better about my spent time
if it helps someone else  :)

--justin