 Storage / 83
Re: Sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:18:30 GMT

   > Ah, the canonical sorting debate has arisen. There is a camp
   > (myself among the adherents) that feels that sorting by color
   > is a total waste of time (except for green :-)). Far more
   > important to sort by size and type.

Yes, yes, we've all heard.  By sorting by color, you can easily see
how many pieces you have available for a particluar construction,
whereas sorting by shape lets you get to them quicker.

So both have their advantages.

So for that very reason, why not just sort by BOTH color AND shape?
Stack and line up a grid of bins, each row is a color, each column is
a type.  So that way, if you want a ton of, say, 2x4's, you just go
over to the 2x4 column and grab a bunch of all the colors you want.
Or if you want a bunch of reds, you can grab then all from the same
row.

It has the added bonus of being able to peruse your bricks at a glance.
It's just easy to glance over and say "oh, i'm running low on yellows"
as it is to say "look at all the 2x2's I haven't used yet"

Sean