 Storage / 88
Re: Sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:14:20 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

"Sean M. Kenney" <sean@seankenney.com> writes:

So for that very reason, why not just sort by BOTH color AND shape?

Yes, but I feel that using too many sorting bins is a waste of space
because there's always going to be a lot of bins that are nearly
empty.
And if you have too many bins, you cannot stack them all in front of
you
when building, so you need to run back and forth to get the pieces you

need.

The situation you describe needn't be the case.  You mention two
problems.

If empty bin-space is a problem, you are suffering from one of two
difficulties.  Bins too large for your collection.  Or a collection too
small for your bins (see my auction).  RoughTotes are great for 1x2s and
2x4s but you need smaller bins like the plastic bin racks used by many
hardware stores to display/organize screws and such.

If you have these standard plastic bins, rank and file as was described,
you could set up a technic/mindstorm track in front of them and then
build with a computer at hand having your little lego servant bring the
pieces(or bins) that you need.

my $.02,

Christopher Weeks
central Missouri, USA