 Storage / 76
  Sorting

Does anyone have a method to make sorting pieces easier? I have several tubs of Legos which still need to be sorted, but am feeling a bit lazy about doing it. Duane ======== Posted via the LUGNET discussion group web interface ======== (URL) Search, (...) (26 years ago, 20-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) When faced with that problem, i have tried several ways to speed up the sorting process. As an engineer type person, i will not be satisfied untill i find the fasted way. My current method is as follows: (note: i use hardware style bins for (...) (26 years ago, 20-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) doing (...) way. My current method is as follows: followed by 12 sentences of detailed instructions. I've been married to an engineer for 20 years now, and feel compelled to offer you some advice on sorting (knowing the engineer type so well). (...) (26 years ago, 20-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) about doing (...) For Technic sets, I work on a big table, and use a "coordinate system" of piles of same-type pieces. (When building, I value form over aesthetics, so all colors of a given part go in the same piles.) x1 x2 x3 x4 x6 x8 x10 x12 (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) eliminating the (...) This is the key insight to sorting fast, I think. When I am trying to digest a big set (or sets) I look through the bags before opening, looking for bags that are similar (or exactly the same for multiple set copies). (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) Ah, the canonical sorting debate has arisen. There is a camp (myself among the adherents) that feels that sorting by color is a total waste of time (except for green :-)). Far more important to sort by size and type. When rooting for a part, (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

> Ah, the canonical sorting debate has arisen. There is a camp > (myself among the adherents) that feels that sorting by color > is a total waste of time (except for green :-)). Far more > important to sort by size and type. Yes, yes, we've all (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) Yes, but I feel that using too many sorting bins is a waste of space because there's always going to be a lot of bins that are nearly empty. And if you have too many bins, you cannot stack them all in front of you when building, so you need to (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) What works best for me is to use lots of Chinese carry-out soup containers and paper plates. I set up 10-20 soup containers (depending on the size of the set). I sort by brick size and element category (windows, tools, plants, etc.). I sort on (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

What I have done so far with the pieces I have sorted is: 1. Put all pieces which currently have a classification in my system in one pile and all unclassified parts in another. 2. Sort all of the classified pieces into three catagories a) bricks b) (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) I hear you. My kids are really bad about building from sorted bins. For about a week after I've done major sorting, they'll come up with creations made from all 1xN plates, or only round pieces. Thought about sorting by colors vs sorting by (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) The situation you describe needn't be the case. You mention two problems. If empty bin-space is a problem, you are suffering from one of two difficulties. Bins too large for your collection. Or a collection too small for your bins (see my (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) You spent how much to save how much? *confused* Why didn't you just get someone to buy some sets for you and send them to you? SOme of us have our own Costco cards for other reasons. Sarah Heacock Sarah@eskimo.com (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) So THAT's why my collection is so big! I sort into Sterilite shoe boxes (1) and no matter how hard I try, I haven't yet filled a shoe box with Technic 1x1 beams. :-) OR silver bricks. :-) :-) Gotta buy more sets, I guess. (...) Finally, a (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) 40 bucks. How much is the least I could get this set for elsewhere? I got 4 copies of it, 2 of the sharks and 2 of the Dark forest set. I also got 100 bucks worth of food and a laser pointer for having fun after dark (1). (...) No one else on (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) What is the .co group? If I'd seen, I would have offered. (...) But then what would you do if they got more Lego sets in? I'll agree that the ethical problem exists here. I would not turn around and get a full refund because you've already (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) ask (...) The lugnet.loc.co newsgroup hierarchy. but maybe I'm hallucinating. I appreciate your offer, really I do, but I didn't think it made sense to do this by mail. I'm in CO and probably won't be in WA for some time. (...) Worth looking (...) (26 years ago, 24-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) I have a BJ's and now Costco. I got the Costco second, and got it because I used to live in CA and really liked them. As for the 6079s, When I first saw these at Costco, I got the last 2 left. Since then the selection dwindled rapidly until (...) (26 years ago, 24-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@NOSPAM.ctp.com> wrote (...) Trust him. It is. For small amounts having "misc" bins works well, but I use a threshold of about 2x4x2" of small parts before I split them out. This is because with Technic I find it easier to (...) (26 years ago, 25-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Warehouse clubs (was Re: Sorting

(...) Hmm... well we can hope that if there's a restock maybe Costco will have GCJ too. I'd get more of those! As for getting a BJ's card I think two of these is enough. Wish Sam's carried better toys, I like them better overall. ++Lar ======== (...) (26 years ago, 25-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) Maybe I missed something--which Divers sets are you talking about? Steve (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) I don't know about Larry, but the Divers set in the Los Angeles area is 1782 Discovery Station. I bought one for $24.49 before tax. Alan (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

Seedling starter trays work great for sorting and they are cheap too. I picked some up at a garage sale that are 4 compartments long x 7 compartments wide that are almost sturdy enough for a permanent storage solution except they are too wobbly to (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

(...) Bingo. ++Lar (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: Sorting

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ... (...) 1782 (...) Blasted mainlanders. We don't even have that set out here. Had to get one shipped in. Jesse ___...___ Jesse The Jolly Jingoist Looking for answers? Read the rec.toys.lego FAQ! (URL) in Deja News! (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.storage)