 Storage / 82
Re: Sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 06:32:01 GMT

Louise Belles writes:

Lighten-up, slow-down, throw all the basic bricks of one color in one bin, all
the special by theme in another.

Ah, the canonical sorting debate has arisen. There is a camp (myself among the
adherents) that feels that sorting by color is a total waste of time (except
for green :-)). Far more important to sort by size and type.

When rooting for a part, which is easier, finding the blue 1x3 bricks in a bin
of 1x3s, or finding the 1x3s in a bin of blue 1x2s, 1x3s and 1x4s? The former.
Trust me. Blue jumps out at you far easier than three studs of length.

Being anal about sorting is a good thing. It lets you have more time to build.
When I'm on a building run, I want everything at hand because the models flow
from my fingers the same way code does when I'm on a coding run.

If all else falls bake cookies for the kids
to bribe them to do it.

This never works for me. They want to build using the parts already sorted
instead. (1)(2) But baking cookies is fun, though.

1 - Kids are entropy agents in a big way. Order is NOT their friend.

2 - and it's hard to get mad since building IS fun, after all.

++Lar