 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 4051
Re: BrickOS Patches and Development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 24 May 2009 03:48:52 GMT

The Bibo Patch Rollup Collection posted to SourceForge at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2773502&group_id=58151&atid=486699
has been updated.

This update adds a handful of patch files--20 through 24.

20: Nice group of Linux error/warning fixes from Carl and posted to
SourceForge at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2793018&group_id=58151&atid=486699
Thanks, Carl!

21:  This is a group of bibo paches by Dr. Hoenicke, of which the major
changes relate to makefile, assembly branching, and util man page updates
(plus a documentation typo on my part--sorry! :-).  Thank you!

The above patches were incorporated into the rollup to minimize merge
differences with subsequent patches.

22: This patch changes kexeci's argv argument from type char** to type
void** and is based on some (now old) feedback from the Lego.NET folks (
http://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/research/lego.NET/ ).  Some delegate-type
functions aren't (yet) implemented for Lego.NET, but the capability should
be there for wait_event-type delegates.  For the case of kexeci, the
Lego.NET delegate's argv would not be of type char**.  From what I can tell
by reviewing the code, the type of argv does not matter to the BrickOS/Bibo
kernel, so it should be safe for a Lego.NET delegate to pass a non-char-type
argv.  If anyone has any deeper insight, I would welcome the feedback.

23: Back to work on LNP.  Implemented some code and ideas from
http://lnphost.sf.net/ , which was designed as a replacement for lnpd.
While there are a few drawbacks due to implementation differences (no
tty_type_t support, no sharing/reuse of lnp and lnp-logical with the kernel,
a small documented problem that "in some rare cases lego packets might not
be detected correctly"), it does have some nice features, including handlers
for standard Lego messages and a nicer hexdump routine (shows both hex and
ASCII-printable characters.  That hexdump routine has been incorporated,
replacing the existing one.

LNP was updated to include a handler for standard Lego messages (this is in
addition to existing functionality), and the ability to send "Lego remote
codes" was added.  The lnpmsg program also received several updates.
Support was added for both displaying and sending both standard firmware
messages and Lego remote codes.  The LNP message output format was changed
to use the updated hexdump routine (instead of just a text string), which
should make it easier to monitor non-text LNP messages.

24: Improved the keepalive capabilities to remove some of the keepalive
burden from programs that might use rcx_comm.  Unfortunately, I'm not setup
right now to test either a serial IR tower or an NCD port, but I did try to
setup a dummy NCD-like tty for testing.  Keepalive works of a signal and
alarm, with code in place to prevent a keepalive byte from being sent while
either writing (rcx_nbwrite) or actively reading (rcx_nbread).  I would be
interested in feedback from anyone using a device that needs a keepalive.

Thank you again to those who have responded or provided feedback.  If you
ever catch a few more free moments, Carl, I would be interested in a Bibo
version of your edgecount patch.  :-)

Thanks,
Matthew