 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 4033
Re: BrickOS Patches and Development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 00:10:42 GMT

Matthew Sheets wrote:

This is a follow up to earlier postings discussing the development status of
BrickOS.  While the Sourceforge project has not had much activity of late,
I've come across various modifications that, unfortunately, have never made
it upstream.  Even more unfortunate is that as time passes, it seems a few
more RCX sites go offline.

Case in point: when I first started on this post some weeks(!) ago,
hoenicke.ath.cx wasn't responding.

After finding BrickOS modifications or patches, there are at least two key
issues: 1) the changes are not always against the latest version of BrickOS
and 2) different sets of changes might modify the same section of code.

And it's not getting easier if we've collected different sets of patches
and then make further changes based on those... So yeah, we need to bring
everything that already exists together and then go from there.

I have assembled a collection of patches that I have used to update my
version of BrickOS.  Some may be more familiar than others, but I have
listed them all here for completeness.  The numbers correspond to the
numbers in the diff file name in the archive file.

Excellent. I've gone through your set of patches, making sure they compile
without warnings with gcc 4.3.2. The binutils 2.16.1 assembler (on x86_64)
prints lots of annoying warning messages (like "Warning: operand
#0xfffffffffffffffa out of range."), but they appear to be completely bogus.

1 - 5. Dr. Hoenicke's patches ( http://hoenicke.ath.cx/rcx/brickOS.html ),
including gcc33, highmem, performance, Makefile, and tcpcomm

The second, "experimental" version of the performance patch (which adds
CONF_DSENSOR_FAST) also works well with the following patches.

6. Carl Troein's signedness patch (
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/?n=3987&t=i&v=a )

I've made some minor (I think) update to this one. Also, it now comments out
the nasty "find /" in the configure script, as I got a bit annoyed when it
printed hundreds of error messages when scanning /proc, /etc and other silly
paths (and even more annoyed when various noisy disks were spun up).

7. Outstanding Sourceforge patch - enable Makelx to handle longer file names
8. Outstanding Sourceforge patch - update entrypoint specification to the S9
record (Lego.NET)
9. Outstanding Sourceforge patch - address compatibility issues in
non-Linux/Cygwin environments
10. Outstanding Sourceforge patch - serial port init fix for Mac OS X

A line break in the middle of a comment util/firmdl/rcx_comm.c breaks
this patch. My version of the patch is almost identical (but working), and
as a bonus the indentation is consistent with the surrounding code.
[Update: ah, I see the bug is fixed in patch 13.]

11. Mark Riley ( http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=14996 ) - LDCC
12. Brown.edu ( http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs148/old/2004fall/brickOS/
and
http://cs.brown.edu/courses/csci1480/old/2005/brickOS/quickstart.html ) -
LNP printf capabilities

At least with gcc 4.3.2 there's a warning about vsnprintf being implicitly
declared. I've created include/stdio.h with declarations of [v]snprintf and
made a new version of the patch.

13. Mike LeSauvage (
http://tarpit.rmc.ca/mcgaughey/eee243/labs/resources/legoshrink.html ) - LNP
communication utility; made modifications to reuse existing code and added
support for TCP communication (such as used by BrickEmu).  Please note that
I have not been able to test these changes for all platforms.

Neat. Good to see that you're reusing existing code. That reminds me that
there's some fairly trivial code duplication between dll and firmdl. It's
not very important, but I'll try to do something about it soon. As for
not tested on all platforms: the code doesn't compile on *ix because of
some calls to open() with the undefined mode flags O_BINARY and O_TEXT.
I've added a test for _WIN32.

14. Taiichi Yuasa ( http://xslisp.com/ ) - miscellaneous patches to BrickOS
that are packaged along with xsLisp

I've added the doxygen update and my edgecount stuff as patches 15-16.

I have uploaded this collection of patches to
http://sourceforge.net/tracker2/index.php?func=detail&aid=2601672&group_id=58151&atid=486699

Revised version at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2722649&group_id=58151&atid=486699

This is by no means an exhaustive inclusion of everything that is out there,
though what remains might require more effort to incorporate.
[...]
* ECU.edu (via archive.org -
http://web.archive.org/web/20070624025341/http://www.cs.ecu.edu/~hochberg/fall2002/brickOS/index.html )
- task prioritization, task scheduling, memory allocation, designate sensor
as real-time

I like the idea of being able to reliably get every sensor value, and
to do so without a long and unpredictable delay. A while back I wanted
something similar, but I want for a simpler solution: callback functions
in the sensor handler (one per sensor, called every time the sensor is
sampled), but that's a very fragile and error-prone solution (for one
thing, the user would have to disable interrupts to interact with
whatever struct the callback function uses to store the results).

* NCSU.edu ( http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/rt/rt05/readings/g1/ ) -
task scheduling, prioritization, etc.

While probably too large to include in a regular distribution, Olaf Christ's
TCP/IP-enabled RCX is interesting (via archive.org -
http://web.archive.org/web/20040324131317/http://users.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~christ_o/)

It's way cool, but I'm less sure that it'd actually be useful. :-)

Then, there is Dr. Hoenick's Bibo ( http://hoenicke.ath.cx/rcx/bibo.html ).
WIth the only real difference from BrickOS being in the task scheduler,
would future development be farther ahead by using Bibo as the starting
point rather then the current BrickOS?

That's a very good question. From what I gather the bibo kernel is
quite a bit smaller and simpler than what we have today, but is that
reason enough to switch? Would we miss the features that we'd lose?
And what exactly _are_ the differences anyway, from a practical point
of view?

Another thing: We should have a good asm implementation of the Power
Functions protocol. I've ordered the Emerald Night collection so soon
I'll have some power functions parts and a reason to control them
with BrickOS. Hopefully that will lead to something.

//Carl