 Robotics / 24581
  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) recurring theme that "once you have sold a user a certain amount, they never need more product, so that's why LEGO went with licenses" is not one that I agree with, and I suspect I am not alone, many of us like to build big things. But we're a (...) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) Slashdot fares better when they stick to technical issues. When the topic drifts to the right way to run a profitable corporation, there is a lot of authority, but little reality. (...) Agreed. It is always amusing when someone attempts to (...) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) It's a very funny story. I really tried to read the whole thing, but I can't. I've spent too much time laughing. I recognize the author's logic trail from the cartoon network. IE: "That guy smokes, and those people were killed in a fire, so (...) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

The problem is guys, while that may not mean many lugnet regulars and afols, the majority of their sales are gonna be kids who only put together the described models. I was once in Hamleys (being a Londoner) and heard a mum objecting to buying Lego (...) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

Only one thing left to say: We don't need no stinking instructions! (...) (URL) > (...) ___...___ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. (URL) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

Has anyone ever visted the Lego company?: (URL) if so, is it worth going? What do you get to see/do? When my son is a bit older we're (I'm) planning a trip to Lego Land UK. It's considerably nearer. Thomas (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) The analysis was thin and poorly written, I agree. Calum (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) I like the tie-ins, except "Harry Pooper". Star Wars has made Lego "cool" in some quarters. They're a great reason for people who already have sufficent Lego to buy more. They just need better tie-ins. "The Matrix" Lego would have been cool. (...) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) Certainly I didn't buy into the argument that they can make an RCX for 75 cents! That's ridiculous. (18 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) I think you have to be a little careful here. That mother may be right. If her kid has a ton of Lego parts that he never plays with - then purchasing a bunch more Lego parts that will be used once to build the model on the box then dumped in (...) (18 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) How long has the current version of the RCX been around? (...) What would you want to see in an online forum? What would it include that's not available here (LUGNET) and/or on LEGOfan? Steve (18 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) What I meant was that Lego should improve the Mindstorms product line and create an official forum targeted as the same demographic they're selling Mindstorms too and not afols. Lugnet will always be much better than that, but it's probably a (...) (18 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

Personally, I believe that the discussions on business models for TLG are a bit off key. Lego already has solid products, and sells to a defined market segment. Their bread and butter product lines sell because of novelty in many cases. Those film (...) (18 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) I thought about bluetooth, but I personally feel 802.11 would be better. I bought a Roku Soundbridge new for around $125 and that included a WiFi card. (...) Is there a composite wish list for a next-generation RCX-like microcontroller (...) (18 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

While I personally love to see that, I just dont see them putting their neck out on that one. As stated before, we (AFOLs and advanced users) are barely a blip on the register of the bean counters, and it is to them that any business development (...) (18 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) There have been dozens and dozens of discussions here about what might or might not make a great RCX replacement - I don't think there is much chance of it happening - so it's really a waste of time to discuss it. (...) Right. The trouble is, (...) (18 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) I wish people like the guy who wrote the article would actually do some research on the topic before publishing something like this, especially now that /. has picked it up. Now, of course, it is as good as gospel truth to millions of people. (...) (18 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

Just a minor thing, Mr S is me, not Steve H. Also, I have given some thought to what I would really want out of Mindstorms part 3, or Lego Advance, as it were. Motor kit in 1,2,and 3 motor variants, including mounting plates and choice of wire (...) (18 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) Yes, but passive only. No light sensor or rotation sensor (but indeed encoders on internal motors) (...) No, only one. (...) Yes, and indeed this combo is great. But of course the motors are in fixed place - not very modular. Better than (...) (18 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) In a limited form this already exists - LEGO educational division indeed sells just a motor, or a bulk pack of clutch gears, worm gears, 1x16 beams, etc. They don't sell them on a part-by-part basis, but in small bulk packs. (...) Again, they (...) (18 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) (URL) and parts... (URL) better selection over the main lego site. Of note is the $10 package of 50 conveyor belt links which is not a bad price - cheaper than you can find on bricklink or ebay. A great addition to any mindstorms kit. - (...) (18 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) And the next most important downside: Firmware is in PROM. No updates or alternative firmware, only Lego programming system, spirit.ocx or NQC. (18 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

this may sound a bit dumb, but give it a few seconds of consideration (and try to supress your own prejudices): One of the problems with being an AFOL is that the bright, happy colors of Lego pieces make everything look like a preschool toy. If I (...) (18 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) That's a very interesting point "should Lego allow others to make Mindstorms pieces". It would mean a big culture change. On the one hand they could lose sales to an outside company, but on the other hand they could generate sales by selling (...) (18 years ago, 2-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot

(...) Steve brings up some very interesting points here, some of which I am already familiar with. As far as TLG is concerned, I talked with folks like Brad and Jake some years ago about the company's attitude toward my plans for making and selling (...) (18 years ago, 2-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)