 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5236
Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:33:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bert Waters writes:

I'm in the same boat, not a train expert but had  the same thoughts as your
posting.

Glad to know its not just me who was puzzled by this.

When we used three motors to power two engines and five rail cars at our
recent RichLug train show,  they  seemed underpowered and barely made it
around the 45 degree curves. One motor couldn't power an engine and two rail
cars around our carefully leveled oval.

Man, every story I hear gets me more depressed!  I don't own any ATSF stuff
yet.  I decided to wait for the cars to come out and an LD "kit" offer since
my LEGO budget is limited.  I now finally have the funds set aside and was
so psyched to see a full train in action.  I was about to order when I saw
Cary Clark's thread start.  Now I'm not sure if I should order now, or wait
to see if there's some quality control problem with the wheel sets that LD
will fix (and hopefully announce).

We pondered a possible B-Unit kit from LEGO. I think I will wait for the kit
for another year before I resort to building one from one engine and
Bricklink parts.

I've pondered buying an extra engine and doing the A + A = B approach but
$80 for a B-Unit to go with a $40 A-Unit seems too painful.  I know the left
over parts can be used for other things, but my MOC skills aren't too great.

I'm not surprised that I'm the first person to respond to your post. Those
of us who are not "experts" are usually ignored when we post in this venue.

This depresses me, too.  This was my first LUGNET post and I believed the
hype that this would be "the friendliest place on the Internet."  Does that
not apply to lugnet.trains?

Bert Waters

Thanks Bert,
Paul