 LEGO Company / 2879
2878  |  2880
Subject:
10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.lego.announce
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:35:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

All,

As the saying goes... I have some good news and some bad news about the 10152 Maersk ship.

I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to post an update. We’ve been working on a number of things surrounding this set.

As you certainly recall, the situation with the Maersk blue bricks was that we were very near the end of our Maersk blue ABS supply. We’d been working from a large stockpile of the Maersk blue for years (we buy big to make it cost-effective), and it was finally about to run out. Out of coincidence, Maersk requested a new Maersk LEGO set. We decided to run out the supply of ABS with this one last set. Once it was gone, it simply wasn’t going to be cost-effective for us to buy another supply of ABS to continue developing that color.

If you’ve seen the set in person, you’d probably not be surprised to learn that we had very positive feedback from consumers of all ages. Since we sold out the Maersk blue version in a matter of weeks, we decided to continue the production, and asked you for feedback on what color to do it in.

But after a few months, Maersk came back to us with a request for more of the 10152 sets. Apparently the 10152 that they had taken delivery of were working quite well for them. They agreed to cover the expense of buying a very small (and expensive) quantity of Maersk blue ABS in order to be able to produce more sets. We purchased just enough ABS for this one run, and while we don’t have any plans for more production, I certainly won’t promise again! :)

The good news is that once again, Shop At Home was able to take advantage of this limited run to produce another (relatively) small quantity of the 10152 in Maersk blue.

The bad news is that this means we need to postpone (and perhaps cancel) the dark blue 10152 version. As soon as we know for sure, I’ll pass the word.

The estimated launch date for the next run of the 10152 is late spring/early summer. We’re still working on finalizing this, and I’ll update you as soon as I can. (The info on LEGOshop.com you say yesterday launched while we still working on the details... the Feb. launch date was a placeholder only. My apologies for the confusion.)

My apologies for the re-direction this project has taken, but hopefully it is more good news than bad!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison