 LEGO Company / 2893
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 06:19:28 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   We’d been working from a large stockpile of the Maersk blue for years (we buy big to make it cost-effective), and it was finally about to run out. Out of coincidence, Maersk requested a new Maersk LEGO set. We decided to run out the supply of ABS with this one last set. Once it was gone, it simply wasn’t going to be cost-effective for us to buy another supply of ABS to continue developing that color.

   But after a few months, Maersk came back to us with a request for more of the 10152 sets. Apparently the 10152 that they had taken delivery of were working quite well for them. They agreed to cover the expense of buying a very small (and expensive) quantity of Maersk blue ABS in order to be able to produce more sets. We purchased just enough ABS for this one run, and while we don’t have any plans for more production, I certainly won’t promise again! :)

   Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

And it appears that many a Lego fan has requested the grays to remain the same. Of course there was no choice. Perhaps all those in favor of keeping the old grays have less pull than Maersk. Seems there’s no problem producing Maersk blue again when there was no plans to ever run that color again, hmmmm. Of course $$$ talks. It’s just all too fishy. I can’t make heads or tails off it. I can understand that certain colors cost more than others, but this stuff isn’t silver and gold and I don’t see it being any more than the difference of a few cents to a buck per set. Nothing against you Jake, I’m starting to feel sorry you work for Lego. I wonder if the price of Maersk blue parts on BL shops will drop. Considering how things have gone with Lego lately I wonder if The Maersk company didn’t receive enough of the first batch of 10152 for their employees due to the high demand from the general public. Here’s an idea, don’t charge Maersk extra for the increased cost of the ABS pellets and in turn they give Lego a great rate for shipping from China in the future. :)

-Patrick