 LEGO Company / 2894
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:05:36 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

OMG, just about everything off the first post in this thread is so lame.

First, Jake, thank you for the update. I’d been kind of wondering actually. Also, thank you for telling us the story in detail. Where so many other official releases would just say somehing like, “release has been delayed for XXXX reason... BTW we found some last few 10152s sitting on a shelf somewhere.”

Next in this thread, I read that some out there thinks Lego is a collectible. No, it isn’t. It’s a toy. When I see a world city set on a shelf, I don’t think, “Dang! I better get that and seal it away because it’ll be worth somehting in 5 years.” Lego is a toy, what people do with it makes it collectible. But I feel pretty confident when I say that the Lego company doesn’t produce sets with collectability in mind. Don’t believe me? Read the product description of the 10152 on Lego.com. Nothing there about “limited edition.” Insider info made it collectible.

Seems to me the only folk truly upset about the re-release of this set are the BL people capitalizing on the rarity of Maersk blue or of the set in general. I understand, I really do. Part of the risk of the second hand parts business I suppose. Sorry, no sympathy.

And lastly, Lego is a company like any other folks. It’s in business to make money. And the only reason that they are doing this run is because it’ll turn a profit. I’m willing to bet Maersk isn’t only paying for the raw materials but for the all the related costs of the run as well since it will be out of the ordinary and beyond what Lego has planned for it’s production line. (set up, storage, tooling, shipping, etc.) And I know some of you out there know that messing with a production line is not something you do without some pretty heavy incentive. Frankly, I’m impressed. Maersk must of shelled out a considerable amout of $$ for this run. AND Lego people get a chance to benefit from that. Except the BL people who were hoping to keep Maersk blue prices nice and high I suppose.

Mark