 General / 48481
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general

Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:43:48 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Lego is not "just" a toy. But it is a toy.

Lego is sold and marketed as a toy to children and adults who are buying toys
for their children. It competes with other toys for shelf space in the toy
department, and is sold in the price range typical for toys. Lego will probably
never license NYPD Blue for World City, Louis Vuitton for Clickits, or induct
Jack Ryan to Alpha Team.

Lego is a toy company, and most of its decisions (from the decision to drop the
Duplo brand, to the decision to license Star Wars) are driven by TLC's
perceptions (sometimes flawed) of the toy market, which they share with Mattel
and Hasbro.

As AFOLs, when we remember its a toy, but are delighted with the extra
possibilities that works well. We are pleasantly surprised when we can buy some
bricks and make something no one could have ever predicted.

But when we forget its a toy and expect TLC to cater primarily to our needs
(whims?) as AFOLs, we will continue to be disappointed.

For people who continue to be REALLY upset about the new colours, I am sorry,
but you have a problem. Lego is not big enough to fill the hole in your life.
Maybe you should discuss this with someone, outside the Lego community - maybe
someone professional who can give you an objective opinion. Or maybe get a puppy
and a pair of lovebirds.

I don't feel censorious when I request people to stop ranting about the color
change, Bionicle, BURPs, Juniorisation and how stupid the set selection for 200x
is - I come here to read about Lego - not about people's personal problems.