 General / 43824
Re: My Chosen Hobby
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:01:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
Again, this misses the point.  I think what most people are upset about is not
new colors appearing, but old colors disappearing.  Sorry to flog a Dark Grey
horse...

If we have an issue, we can ask politely that they reconsider this decision.
I'm responding to the 'all is doom for us AFOLers!' and the 'TLC sux' rants.
Using an example from past hooplas like the Bionicle rants, I tried to show that
maybe all the ranters should just tone it down a notch and see what transpires.

The flurry of activity this colour change has produced on LUGNET is just
staggering.  We have passionate individuals who cherish our collective chosen
hobby.  We all anjoy LEGO, or we wouldn't be here in this discussion group.
However, sometimes our passion gets the best of us and things get said.  I'm
more guilty of this than most--just look in o.t-d (sorry 'bout questioning your
humanity, Hoppy).

Every now and then, though, we should just sit back, take a deep breath, and
realize that, for at least my lifetime anyway, TLC's still here, and they still
make a pretty good product, and we still actively partake in LEGO related
activities--perhaps we could just calm down a second.  Absolutely get the
petitions going and write letters, but please do so politely and with
consideration and respect towards each other and to TLC.

You are absolutely correct on this point, and I couldn't agree more.  I've been
somewhat taken aback by the tone taken by many here the last few days,
particularly with regard to the color change and the BioniCastle issue.  Abusing
Jake is not the best way to convince the powers that be in Billund that they
have made some poor decisions.  And some of the reactions posted here have been
so hysterical that they will be easily discounted in the board room.

I hope that people will give TLC some credit here.  Jake has hinted (perhaps too
subtly) that the BioniCastle sets are not the only Castle sets that will come
out in 2004, and much of the ranting on that topic seems to have overlooked
that.  I also have great hope that the sheer volume of responses to the color
change issue and even the passion contained therein may convince LEGO to reverse
this decision.  I'm getting an awful lot of "server busy" responses today that I
doubt are being caused by a worm attack.

I also think that in recent years, TLC has shown an increased sensitivity to the
AFOL market.  Pick-a-Brick, Legends, and Jake's involvement on this forum are
but a few examples that they are listening to us, even if they tend to react
slowly in most cases.  Large corporations, like oil tankers, do not change
course quickly.

- Chris.